Light therapy unit - hire or buy?

Posted Sat 6 Feb 2021 17.32 by Becca’s mum

Hi , I’m trying to make the decision about whether to hire or buy a light therapy canopy for my daughter ( adult) to use. We’ve had poor experiencing of accessing hospital based treatments due to my daughter being a shift worker. Our dermatologist has been quite negative about this, emphasising that light treatment should be administered by hospital staff only. We understand the risks of home admin and we’re looking at a provider that uses nhs approved light tubes, hiring for 8 weeks in the first instance with an option to buy the unit. What experiences have any of you had, is this something we should pursue?

Posted Sat 13 Feb 2021 11.35 by RUTLAND2000

I purchased my own UV light unit about 6 years ago, after it became highly inconvenient attending hospital regularly (not to mention the parking!), for what was only a matter of a few minutes treatment. The unit is a bank of 9 Philips tubes and whilst not the equivalent of the hospital's "all round" more sophisticated light unit, does it's job very well. Due to lack of space, I am now looking to dispose of it, so if you are interested, leave a message here and I will get in touch. Machine will fit into the back of an estate car with the seats down. Cambridgeshire.

Posted Sun 14 Feb 2021 09.53 by OhNo_NotAgain?

My concerns about buying or renting: Buying new: hopefully you will have brand-new tubes, and you can determine if they are the correct specification to benefit psoriasis. Buying second-hand or renting: it is probably more difficult to know if the tubes are beyond their useful life or even the correct specification.

Posted Sun 14 Feb 2021 20.22 by Becca’s mum

Thanks for your thoughts, if we decide to buy, will go for new unit and tubes as replacement tubes are very expensive. Our consultant is new and wanting my daughter to try a drug treatment that we haven’t tried before. So we’re holding off on the light treatment for now and going with the consultants treatment program. Appreciate you taking the time to respond.

Posted Sun 21 Feb 2021 07.12 by Northerner21

Hi, I've cured myself of psoriasis with vitamin D suppliments, please read my thread in the treatments section.

Posted Sun 21 Feb 2021 08.25 by SharonG

@Notherners21 Please can you post a link to your thread? Thanks

Posted Sun 21 Feb 2021 13.02 by SharonG

Posted Sun 21 Feb 2021 21.31 by mikey

Hi RUTLAND2000 - am interested in your light unit I'm new to the forum so not sure how to do PM's Regards,

Posted Mon 22 Feb 2021 11.50 by RUTLAND2000

Thanks for your interest, but unfortunately, it has already been sold another party. Regards

Posted Mon 22 Feb 2021 21.06 by mikey

Ok thanks for reply.

Posted Fri 16 Apr 2021 11.33 by jpd

I bought my unit from uvblampsuk.com. It cost £850, it works, glad I bought it.

To take part, sign in or register with us