Psoriasis postpartum

Posted Tue 9 Feb 2021 21.21 by Colour123

Hi everyone, I gave birth 4 months ago and before that I had small patches of P on my body. Mainly my scalp was affected and a few other plaques on my hips and one on my arm - it wasn’t great but was... liveable. After giving birth my skin is... horrendous. I’m covered from head to toe and my scalp, hips and breasts are particularly angry. I have dermovate but honestly... there are too many (like pin pricks). Has anyone else experienced this postpartum? Have you known hormones to affect it? Did it settle down?

Posted Sun 14 Feb 2021 17.16 by Murphy

You really need to see a dermatologist. Some of the cures are not fit for breast feeding. The topical creams always contain cortisones. IIRC these are transmitted through breast milk. It's well known that stress hormones are one of the primary reasons for P flare-ups. I can't imagine how having a new born around must be affecting you. If stress hormones like adrenaline can cause this, then think of what serotonin, melatonin and whatever the body produces after child birth can do to a person. For the love of god go see a doctor.

Posted Sun 14 Feb 2021 17.39 by Colour123

Murphy, I have seen a doctor, twice now. They have prescribed me something I can use whilst breastfeeding and in contact with my baby. I would in no way take any cream that would jeopardise my baby and his health. I was actually wondering if this had happened to any other people and if my skin would remain like this or would go back to how it was before I gave birth.

Posted Sun 14 Feb 2021 19.48 by Becmc

Hi Colour123, So sorry you are struggling with post-partum psoriasis, it’s so horrible, I hope you find some relief soon! I suffered really badly with it in my 2nd and 3rd pregnancies in which I breastfed. My psoriasis cleared up during pregnancy and then at about 3 months after my child’s arrival my akin went into overdrive. It got to the point where there was so many patches of guttate psoriasis that you couldn’t find more than an inch or two without a patch on it! I ended up having to have phototherapy both times. I tried everything else to avoid it, especially the second time, but the pain and itching was unbearable. The phototherapy did work and though I do still suffer with psoriasis, it’s very manageable now - more like it was pre-children. I really hope you find the answer that’s right for you soon, whatever it may be!

Posted Sun 14 Feb 2021 20.28 by Colour123

Oh Becmc - thank you so much for your reply! I found that reply so validating as I’ve done research and asked in baby fb groups - trying to find anyone else who had this. What you’ve said is Exactly what has happened to me? Did you breastfeed with your first? Do you think that contributed to it? My skin has heightened sensitivity like I’ve not experienced before!

Posted Tue 16 Feb 2021 10.20 by Becmc

Hi Colour123, I didn’t breastfeed with my oldest & didn’t have any flare up, but my second & third pregnancies I breastfed and had huge flare ups with both of them. It must be something to do with the hormones, possibly stress related too? I did have heightened sensitivity & I think it contributed to the itchiness too, it made me quite irritable!

Posted Thu 26 Jan 2023 09.43 by Rebecca

After both of my children I had a really odd flare up of psorisasis. The flare up after the second was worse. My skin started with patches of psoriasis but rather than form the plaques my skin was shedding like it would after sunburn. It was like the whole of my skin had to flare and shed. It was hot to touch and puffy but I didn't feel unwell. After my second pregnancy I went to GP who sent me straight to hospital they did lots of tests and biopsy to rule out other things. Nothing conclusive came from it. It settled down and until now I have never heard of anyone having this postpartum reaction. I wonder how common it is. My psoriasis did settle down to it's normal levels after the shedding and fading of redness.

To take part, sign in or register with us