Did infected wisdom tooth cause my psoriasis

Posted Tue 9 Feb 2021 23.49 by Josh12345

Hi all, in October last year I was diagnosed with guttate psoriasis which is spreading all over my body, a month before that I was in a bit of pain due to my wisdom teeth coming through. I rang my dentist to get them removed but was told I don’t qualify to have them removed until I ring up a few times to complain about the pain and just gave me antibiotics in the meantime which I didn’t take. (In hindsight that was pretty stupid) I was just wondering if it was possible that my wisdom tooth got infected and maybe what’s caused my psoriasis? Only reason I thought this might be the case is because I’ve read GP usually comes from infections like strep throat. Is it possible that having my wisdom teeth removed may actually help reduce symptoms? I’m going to have a check up with the dentist in 2 weeks as haven’t been able to get in due to Covid. Would really appreciate some other opinions on this. Thanks, Josh

Posted Wed 10 Feb 2021 13.13 by LenRa
First plaque in 2018

From what I've read and seen, any kind of stress to your immune system can cause a flare-up or a new patch. My first plaque was from a never-healed scraped knee (during a really stressful work year). Many women experience flare-ups (or latency) due to pregnancy. Having COVID can trigger it, and so can just getting really stressed out at work. So you may be right that fighting the infection also triggered your genetic potential to trigger. Reducing your immune-stress could make it better, or it could have just opened the door and psoriasis is part of your life now.

Posted Wed 10 Feb 2021 13.52 by Josh12345 (edited Wed 10 Feb 2021 13.53 by Josh12345)

Hi, Thanks for you reply. I’m hoping that by getting these wisdom teeth removed that the psoriasis should start to fade. It’s all over my body and so stressful at the moment. I’m also starting to improve my diet and exercise more in hopes that this might improve things, not seen any improvement this way yet although I have only been doing it a week. I’ve seen so many success stories involving diet so it can’t all be a myth. Have you managed to keep your psoriasis down on your knee?

Posted Wed 10 Feb 2021 17.10 by LenRa (edited Wed 10 Feb 2021 17.12 by LenRa)
First plaque in 2018

Stress can be a serious factor, especially when you tense up and let it affect your health. So removing your painful wisdom teeth and getting rid of the physical stress of infection might have a good influence. It will at definitely reduce the stress on your body, which is a trigger. My stuff definitely gets worse with work-stress and better when I stop getting physically anxious. Haven't tried any diet changes, but my condition is pretty mild overall. Exercise is a great way to reduce physical stress and increase your physical resistance to stress. The knee thing has never gone away, but it's also my only thick plaque. With daily care, I can totally keep it mostly human. I use a combination of lotion, coal tar ointment, and the occasional borax+luffa scrub to keep it smooth without gouging raw-spots. The borax and luffa are my secret weapon for a mostly flake-free life, and helps to keep new mild patches smooth.

Posted Tue 16 Feb 2021 15.16 by charmarr

According to my consultant,nobody knows for definite what starts Psoriasis off. From what I have read stress can indeed cause flare ups after you have had Psoriasis. It may just be coincidence that Josh developed Psoriasis at the same time.

Posted Tue 31 Jan 2023 02.11 by healedinthenameofjesus

@josh12345 So is there any update? ... Did your psoriasis fade after having your wisdom teeth removed? I am going through the same type of issue. I can't wait to get my tooth removed, because I believe last time, I needed a tooth removed, my psoriasis cleared. I am also eating beet juice, ginger, vitamin D3 1000iu and milk thistle hoping it all will help. However, this tooth, I think is the issue.

Posted Tue 31 Jan 2023 09.27 by KevinN

Yes, I was just googling this an came across this thread. I would also like to know, would removing my wisdom teeth improve psoriasis? I'm about to take additional dental cover :-)...

Posted Wed 22 Feb 2023 12.19 by snsrheumatology (edited Wed 22 Feb 2023 12.20 by snsrheumatology)

@josh12345 Is there any new information? ... Did your psoriasis improve after you had your wisdom teeth extracted? I'm experiencing the same problem. I can't wait to have my tooth extracted because I believe the last time I needed a tooth extracted, my psoriasis cleared up. I'm also taking beet juice, ginger, vitamin D3 1000iu, and milk thistle in the hopes that it will all help. However, I believe the problem is with this tooth. Cheak out this website I helps me more: https://snsrheumatology.com/

To take part, sign in or register with us