psoriasis in mouth

Posted Tue 23 Feb 2021 16.25 by Pearl

is it possible to get oral psoriasis ,

Posted Sat 27 Feb 2021 13.02 by thepaingame123

yes it is. i've had oral psoriasis for many years and the best advice i could give, if i could go back, is to first speak to your dermatologist who will give you the best up to date advice and also make sure that your derm makes your dentist aware of the extra challenges you face with oral psoriasis and is up to date and working in tandem with your dermatologist. for me i found it hard as i would clean my teeth and it would burn and hurt so bad. then when i used mouthwash after cleaning, it burned and hurt so terribly and my skin would peel off the inside of my mouth in constant strings. very painful, very embarrassing. my best advice is 1st to tell you that ive now lost my teeth as i wasnt proactive enough in making sure i was doing the very best i could and my dentist just gave me an non alcolholic mouthrinse, then when it still peeled my skin off told me to water it down a bit and i left it at that, big mistake!. so dont do as i did, do not lose your teeth. make sure your derm and dentist have the very same info and treat you on that basis. dont comprimise ever and always stay up to date because if you lose your teeth they are gone for good, end of! and thats the worst thing to happen . so be pro active, keep asking questions, clean your teeth with a small amount of the least irritating toothpaste that works for you, so a bit of trial and error and check out toothpastes for oral psoriasis and the like ( im sure there are probably toothpastes and mouthwashes now that are non irritating, find the one that works for you, there will be one ), clean more than twice a day to put your mind at ease and your teeth will be absolutley fine even with psoriasis. i hope that you know that i dont mean to scare you. i just dont want psoriasis to make you lose any teeth and it wont, honestly, but keep on top of it and ask question after question un til you get what works best for both your oral psoriasis and most importantly protects your teeth and you'll be fine. all the very very best to you, jacqui

Posted Mon 1 Mar 2021 20.15 by Pearl

Hi Jacqui, Thank you so much for your reply to my question on oral psoriasis, I'm so sorry to hear what a terrible time you went through with it and I have certainly taken all your advice on board I had a particular reason for asking my question , I have had psoriasis for ten years now tried various treatments and a few years ago I was put on acitretin it worked at first then I started getting side affects painful swollen gums ,bleeding gums, cracked swollen lips ,and dry nasal passages when I told my derm his answer was to up the dose, two weeks later I ended up in A&E with my face falling on one side, I was diagnosed with bells palsy caused by the open cuts in my mouth letting in an infection , I was promptly taken off the acitretin and put on to mxt , I was lucky to get prompt steroid treatment and my face recovered, however I 0ften wonder if traces of the acitretin is causing my problems now, they say you can't donate blood for at least 3 years after treatment with acitretin why? could it still be there causing problems, anyway I'm hoping to get back to derm soon when appointments start up again ,thank you again for your kind advice and I would like to wish you all the best now and in the future , Margaret

To take part, sign in or register with us