Need Help With My Diet

Posted Tue 2 Mar 2021 10.33 by Sarah

I’ve had psoriasis for about 10 years now,good and bad.. Had hospital treatment,creams,lotions,steroids etc I’m just so confused about the food I should be eating.I know I can’t have peppers and tomatoes and milk or cream but do I go completely gluten free or still keep it in my diet.I’m so confused!! Any help would be great x

Posted Tue 2 Mar 2021 13.30 by SharonG

Posted Thu 11 Mar 2021 14.32 by Scott in Toronto

I did a number of experiments with my diet over the past year to see what worked for me. These are the changes that worked well: 1. Cut out nightshades, particularly potatoes and tomatoes. 2. Reduced dairy. 3. Ate a lot more vegetables. 4. Mostly stayed away from alcohol. 5. Really reduced sugar. That was tough for the first few weeks! Cutting out potatoes seemed to be the biggest thing for me. My psoriasis started in my 50s after an allergic reaction to penicillin. I seemed to develop a sensitivity to potatoes after that allergic reaction. I didn't worry about gluten. Those changes made a big difference in reducing my psoriasis symptoms. Good luck in your journey.

Posted Thu 11 Mar 2021 16.37 by lizziep (edited Thu 11 Mar 2021 17.59 by lizziep)

I have been on immune suppressants very happily for 20 years, but when COVID came along and I got a letter saying it put me into the very vulnerable group, I decided that the cure was worse than the disease, so with the knowledge of my consultant, I came off them and have reverted to steroid foam, My Psoriasis naturally came back.. As a separate issue, I decided to lose weight as I didn't want to be that fat one struggling on a ventilator. Last May I gave up food and alcohol and went on meal replacement diet of bars and liquid shakes. with the only food being blueberries. So I think I am now living proof that for me, at least, diet doesn't change my psoriasis as I am not having food but am covered in psoriasis.

1 Posted Wed 22 Sep 2021 20.50 by benstorey (edited Wed 22 Sep 2021 20.53 by benstorey)

You need to go to a nutritionist and make an individual diet that will help you lose weight. If you eat only bars and blueberries, that's too bad. You definitely don't have enough vitamins to live a normal life.

Posted Tue 23 Nov 2021 17.36 by lizziep

@Benstorey :I lost 4 stone! The bars are packed with vitamins and minerals and are recognised by the NHS as suitable for losing weight. It was never intended as a permanent diet - just till I lost the weight

Posted Sun 23 Jan 2022 03.07 by Mary1968

Sarah Diet cleared life long psoriasis for me. Been clear for over ten years now (except for a small flare after first Covid jab a few weeks ago) Whilst it does seem overwhelming and confusing at first, it is relevantly easy to spot your irritants, if you keep aware and maybe keep a diary. I noticed quite early on, that if I ate a lot of dairy (cheese), or chocolate (sugar), or white potatoes, or bread, or tomatoes, or drank too much beer or cola, etc....that my plaque patches would be more inflamed, or itchy, or red in the week afterwards. I am still unsure about the gluten factor, but don't tend to eat much gluten anymore, so don't really notice an impact like I use to. These days I can eat overnight soaked oats and have slow baked sourdough bread, but I still cannot have processed cereals and standard mass produced supermarket breads. It is just finding what works for you But in general, many people do report detrimental effects from : overly acidic foods, dairy, eggs, gluten, excessive sugar intake, red meat, spices & vegetables from the nightshade family, wheat beer, alcohol, etc.... You may find problems with one, some or all (or something else entirely). But even if you do, there are alternatives to be had, so you don't miss out on favourite foods. I combined diet and supplements to clear. VitaminD3 - 5000IU daily Cold water fish oil - 1000mg daily Also Zinc and Marine Collagen powders are a great additions to add. See a naturopath too maybe.

To take part, sign in or register with us