Slow metabolism

Posted Tue 27 Jul 2021 18.22 by SueS

I have had psoriasis for 20 years and have tried many types of medications. I am currently injecting kyntheum. It has cleared 90% of my psoriasis which is amazing. I spoke to my consultant recently and mentioned how tired I am and cannot lose weight. She said that psoriasis and slow metabolism go together. I was shocked as it has never been mentioned before. Has anyone come across this? Thank you

Posted Tue 27 Jul 2021 18.33 by Tobysgranny

You could be describing me. I have been trying very hard to lose weight since the end of lockdown as has my husband and daughter who lives with us. She has lost an astonishing three stone, my husband has Lost 1.1/2 stone and I’m struggling to lose 8 or 9 lbs. I probably was eating less than they were. It has been so frustrating. I’ve always found it difficult to lose weight. I am on 25mg Asatretin which I’m considering coming off as my hair is falling out and my nails are splitting.

Posted Tue 27 Jul 2021 18.39 by SueS

I sympathise with you. Asatretin did not work for me. The psoriasis did not improve and like you my hair was falling out. I have had no reactions to taking kyntheum and skin is better than it's been for 15 years. Let's hope someone has been able to find a way to speed up our metabolism.

Posted Fri 30 Jul 2021 10.13 by CBMan

This research seems to back up the suggestion that there is an association between Psoriasis and metabolic conditions. https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/29241748/

To take part, sign in or register with us