Helping my daughter

Posted Wed 17 Nov 2021 13.08 by Belinda0412
Hi, I’m just trying to support my daughter who suffers with psoriasis

Hi, hoping for some advice. I don’t suffer from psoriasis but my 20 year old daughter does. Usually she handles it beautifully and doesn’t let it get her down but it’s flared up quite badly recently and nothing I say seems to help. She is going to the docs on Monday and hopefully will be referred to the dermatologist asap. She hasn’t treated herself with her usual foam steroid treatment (as it’s run out) for about 10 days and it’s back with a vengeance. She says using moisturisers like Aveeno and CeraVe is pointless and I can’t seem to change her mind. She gets really upset with me and says I don’t understand, which is true. I’m trying to help her but just seem to make her angrier and more upset and always seem to say the wrong thing. Any help would be really appreciated - thank you

Posted Thu 18 Nov 2021 22.34 by lizziep (edited Thu 18 Nov 2021 22.35 by lizziep)

Hi - I feel so sorry for her - I remember how I felt about my psoriasis when I was young - it is a cruel disease, and she will feel she doesn't want people looking at her., staring at her. Other people tend. to treat it is as though it is infectious and it feels very humiliating. I remember being told I couldn't swim in a hotel pool as it was unpleasant for the other guests. It is very hard for you to do anything really. I think you need to support her, make her feel loved and show that the psoriasis doesn't change how you feel about her. The dermatologist will do the rest. She could join this forum, too - mostly people are helpful and friendly and it is a good place for her to let off steam and receive kindness back.

Posted Fri 19 Nov 2021 10.58 by lizziep

Hi Again Belinda - there's a good post of photos of famous people with psoriasis - your daughter might be interested in them.

Posted Mon 14 Feb 2022 01.07 by bookreviewer123

Hi, I’m in the same situation as your daughter. I’m a 20 year old girl who only got diagnosed with psoriasis about a year ago, and I’ve been struggling ever since. My mum is constantly researching trying to find different creams and diets that could help me improve my skin, but I feel the same as your daughter! I know my mum only means the best but it’s really frustrating for me. It’s different for everyone but I know for myself that no moisturiser is going to get rid of my psoriasis, and it’s hard to listen to recommendations from others as I have tried so many already! The moisturisers may make the symptoms feel less severe but it feels pointless to me too as it’ll never actually get rid of it. I don’t know anyone who suffers with psoriasis and it can feel really lonely. Sometimes it’s nice just to be able to talk about how the psoriasis makes you feel without everyone around you trying to discover new remedies. If your daughter is still struggling too, I’m here if she needs someone to talk to. I can give my email or social media! Wishing you both the best!

Posted Sun 27 Feb 2022 19.00 by Julianadvzm

Good afternoon, I am 23 years old and 10 years ago I was diagnosed with psoriasis, it has been spreading more and more and topical treatments have no effect, I live in Venezuela and I have not been able to go to the doctor for a long time. If someone here can help me to pay for my consultation with the dermatologist, it would be very helpful, to see what work plan I should carry out. Lately it's limiting me psychologically and physically, plus I'm under regular stress because I'm a medical student, and it's demanding. Happy afternoon ☀

Posted Mon 28 Feb 2022 17.31 by PsoAdminMod

Hi Julianadvzm, We're sorry to hear you are struggling with your psoriasis at the moment and that you are having difficulty getting an appointment with a dermatologist. We would recommend you get in touch with our helpline where one of our advisers will be happy to speak to you and discuss the different options that may be available to you. Please do keep in mind that whilst we provide information we are unable to offer financial support, and as we are UK based treatment availability and how to access these treatments may differ in Venezuela. The helpline in open Monday - Friday 9am - 4pm and you can reach us by phone on 01604 251 620, email at mail@psoriasis-association.org.uk or WhatsApp 07387 716 439. Best Wishes, Amber, Psoriasis Association

Posted Thu 3 Mar 2022 21.23 by The Cure

Hi, I use Calamine lotion. I have come to the Paradox conclusion that keeping it dry stopped the itching. (also keeping it cooled helps) It say to wash it of, but I keep applying it. It is cooling, drying and feels amazing. It also helps me in the summer, since it just looks like I applied a layer of sun protection on myself. (it don't rub off) Since this have actually stopped the itching, I now want to see if I can take it to next level. So now will try a 50% Urea cream to try to remove my hard armor. Urea, I hope will not only remove it but also repair my skin barrier and reduce inflammation. Let’s see if it works. At least I find my "cure" for not waking up in bloodstained sheets anymore. So Calamine lotion, my fellow friends is my golden tip.

Posted Mon 7 Mar 2022 17.58 by bookreviewer123

Also, something new I found- there’s a podcast on Spotify called ‘the psoriasis geek podcast’. Just started listening to it and she does loads of different topics, from dating to what to wear with psoriasis and also different treatments and methods. Another good way to not feel so alone!

To take part, sign in or register with us