Help and advice controlling Inverse Psoriasis flare-ups

Posted Tue 30 Nov 2021 14.24 by AndyC2021

Hi, Our 13 year old son has been diagnosed with Inverse Psoriasis around his groin area. We have had several visits to the GP and he has currently been prescribed Dovobet in conjunction with Epimax as a general moisturiser. I notice from the Dovobet leaflet it states it should not be used in the groin area so slightly concerned with this. However, the biggest issue is the itching and discomfort when flare ups do occur. He did not go to school yesterday morning as was incredibly itchy shortly after waking up. He describes it as ranging from feeling tingly to sharp stabbing pains. He soaked in a sea salt bath for a while until the sensation passed and then applied the Dovobet once dried off. Spent the rest of the say in loose fitting clothes and said he didn't feel anything during the day. At bedtime he applied a small amount of Dovobet again. In the morning he had a shower and applied some Epimax and also had a Piriton to help dull any itching should it occur. He felt fine as he left for school at 8.30 ish. Unfortunately, at 11.00 we had message from him saying he had to leave class and effectively hide in the toilets as a flare-up had come out of nowhere and it was too uncomfortable for him to stay in class. We went to collect him and he is now feeling better after soaking in the bath again. Obviously this is causing him serious distress, especially considering the location of his Psoriasis and also resulting in him starting to miss out of school and puts him off doing other things. We have another appointment with the GP tomorrow to see where we go from here but I thought I would see if you guys have any advice or suggestions on how we can control the itching when it occurs. For example, are there any oils/lotions that he could carry discreetly in his school bag and nip off and apply at the time he feels a flare up starting. Thanks.

Posted Tue 30 Nov 2021 18.52 by OhNo_NotAgain?

I use Trimovate in my groin. It gave good results. I was suffering from recurring inverse-proriasis and there seemed to be a fungal element also. A combination of trimovate and elecon morning and evening seemed to clear it. I was getting a recurrance after 4-6 weeks, regularly, for 3 or 4 years. I added two things to my routine: - I only dry my groin and feet (between toes) with kitchen roll, not a towel that can spread any fungal infection. In hotels I use the hair-dryer. - once my groin is dry, I apply a medicated powder, eg Cuticura or "Medipure, Medicated Body Powder". since doing this I have not had a recurrance after more than 12 months. My theory is that the recurring fungal condition was triggering the inverse psoriasis. By keeping my groin dry during the day it seems to have solved the issue.

Posted Tue 30 Nov 2021 20.06 by AndyC2021

Thanks for the info. Prior to being diagnosed with inverse psoriasis he was originally treated for a fungal infection but another gp has now ruled that out. Will look into the powders. Cheers

Posted Thu 2 Dec 2021 13.47 by Happychappy

Eventually I was diagnosed with inverse psoriasis, having initially gone down the fungal infection route. Your son may have the classic red shiny lines in his groin area? I saw a dermatologist who prescribed topical steroid creams. You will see from this forum that we all react differently to treatments and its a case of finding one that helps. The nature of psoriasis is that it will periodically flare. Perseverance is needed and good emotional support. I've had loads of great advice and support from the forum. Simple things like patting dry and not towelling dry. I found oilatum or LPL bath additives really helped. At the moment when I flare I find Synalar followed by Eumovate works for me. I then use Protopioc as a maintainance, its a life saver for me. Flares can go on from weeks to months, its what it is. Wishing your son well and come back with any concerns, were all in the same boat.

To take part, sign in or register with us