NEWBIE NEEDS HELP

Posted Fri 28 Jan 2022 03.47 by DAVAMAN

Hello everyone. Firstly Thank you for allowing me to join this special group. Secondly I know living in the UK we are very very lucky to have our NHS. Sometimes we can be very critical and berate it, however it's free and I cannot even imagine what it is like for people living in America that cannot get treatment because they do not have adequate insurance cover. Bless you all. A little bit of background, I have had psoriasis for over 2 years now after having a mental health breakdown. I need help from you guys who understand what this debilitating horrible illness is like to live with. I find it a daily struggle. I am unable to sleep at all and to be honest at times I feel like just ending it all. I have been with a Dermotology clinic since I was diagnosed and quite frankly apart from the two male health care workers who help with the creams and ointments at the clinic I have had a very difficult time with my Dermotologist who has no patience at all, to the extant that your bum doesn't even touch the seat before you are up and out the door! I have been taking Vensir XL for my Mental Health and recently have been informed by my GP to decrease this medication as it may be the root cause, however I'm not convinced. I am currently using Enstiller, Dovabet,Cetraben, Betnovate cream, Aveeno shower gel all prescribed. More recently I have taken to Elastoplast wound spray spraying all over my body after I have nearly scratched every single part of my body. My Scalp and feet take a real battering from my scratching and now my nails are disgusting I am ashamed to say. Also my ears inside and out and back of neck take a bit of battering. My medication consists of Cetrizine, Phenergan, Otezla, for the Psoriasis and Vensir XL, Quetiapine and a sleeping tablet I cannot remember the name of. I have stopped drinking but my diet is bad apparently after listening to a brilliant podcast from Gemma Boak the Psoriasis Geek who I have started to listen to during my many sleeplessness nights. I apologies for this very long post I am reaching out for help as I am at my wits end, stress levels thru the roof which just flares the Big P up. Oh did I mention my wife now sleeps in the spare room, nothing to do with our relationship that's brilliant, it's just so she can get a decent night's sleep. Lastly I have a very unique way of scratching my back at the very edge of the shelf of our fitted wardrobes I am like a big bear in the woods however it's probably the worst thing to do as I bleed quite a lot to the extent I become traumatized. To finish I don't really understand the terminology any help would be really appreciated thank you guys xx

Posted Fri 28 Jan 2022 20.48 by youngirl3150

Hi, so sorry to hear that you are not getting any help, I was prescribed Amgevita injections which for about a year really helped, now I have come off them because of awful flare ups, covering more of my body.I am now using Hemp products from the Body shop and have bought a uvb lamp from dermafix uk. I am feeling quite hopeful that things are slowly improving.Stay strong and good luck.

Posted Mon 31 Jan 2022 11.32 by PsoAdminMod

Hi DAVAMAN, Firstly, welcome to the Psoriasis Association forums, we hope you find being a part of this community helpful. We're sorry to hear you are struggling with your psoriasis at the moment, and that you feel unsupported by your dermatologist. As you have mentioned in your post, psoriasis does not only impact the skin, but can also affect people's metal health and general wellbeing. Due to this, it is important that the full life impact of psoriasis is assessed and taken into consideration when establishing a treatment plan. We would be very happy to provide you with some information and support via our confidential helpline. The helpline is open Monday - Friday 9am - 4pm and you can reach us by phone on 01604 251 620, email at mail@psoriasis-association.org.uk or WhatsApp on 07387 716 439. Best Wishes, Amber, Psoriasis Association

Posted Mon 14 Mar 2022 20.40 by Annac (edited Mon 14 Mar 2022 20.40 by Annac)

Hi I’m new here as well and have had my fair share of psoriasis flare ups, but always managed to get it under control and gone. I also have gone though an extremely challenging time in life with mental health and my stress levels are through the roof. I’m in poor housing conditions so can’t do all that I’ve done before to get rid of the psoriasis flare up, but I can let you know that in the past I have used tumeric (an anti inflammatory) it’s a powder that you can cook with and marinate food with: you can buy it in tablet or liquid form from online holland and Barrett. Epsom salt baths helped me, warm, not hot as it has lots of minerals in, but I did do it daily to also relax myself with meditation music and lavender essential oil which promotes relaxation. I stuck to strict diet eliminating dairy and having veg, fish, lemon water and used the sunbeds. It has always cleared up in no time. If feeling sugar craving coming on blueberries have also been a god send. I have to put in that I also used a good moisturiser (coconut oil raw) steroids and therapeutic shampoo. Head and shoulders kept the scalp at bay.. it would always disappear when I had cleansed myself and also refrained from drinking for a short while, whilst doing this. Hope this of some sort of help: mine is awful at the moment and severely affecting my mental health, but nobody will put me on medication. Best of luck… vitamin d is your friend! Doing all of the above also promotes healthy well being and makes you feel better within yourself, which may also calm the stress you’re experiencing. I’m in shared housing emergency which is really tough for me, so I can’t cook what I want and stop drinking completely as I’m not comfortable with my environment. Please let me know how you get on. Avoid junk food if possible for the short term.

To take part, sign in or register with us