Enquiry about the fee for purchasing Secukinumab Injection as IHS member

Posted Thu 10 Mar 2022 13.20 by Luiz

Hello , everyone Actually, I am writing this post to enquiry a kind of medicine which named Secukinumab Injection for my brother. He is going to become an international postgraduate student next year for a master degree and he will join in the NHS system with a tier-4 visa. However, the Secukinumab Injection is necessary for him as a treatment medicine, so could you please let me know, if he joins in the NHS system, how much he need to pay for purchasing this medicine for every single injection and what is the process that could make him get that medicine. Thank you very much!

Posted Fri 11 Mar 2022 10.30 by Matt1972

Unless he is prepared to see a private dermitologist where there is a cost, NHS treatment in the UK is free. To receive the injections, a Dr would normally refer you to a dermitologist at a local hospital, where you get assessed. Depending on what treatment your brother has had in the past, you may not start on the injections. They are basically the last resort after all other treatment such as tablets and light therapy has failed, mainly as they are expensive to the NHS. If he is already on the injections then that would be taken into consideration I suppose. It would be a longer process through the NHS than seeing a private dermitologist, but you could be looking at a lot of money if you decide to go privately. Hope this helps.

Posted Fri 11 Mar 2022 18.46 by Steview
A P sufferer for over 30 years, through good and bad times.

Without knowing the full workings of the NHS for foreign vistors, students etc I would suggest you or your Brother do serious research planning before coming to the UK. Does your country have an arrangement with the UK? Does your Brother have private medical cover for this type of med? Can your Brothers sponsor in the UK offer advice as they may have previous knowledge of foreign student recruitment? A lot to consider when moving to another country when one has a chronic condition such as P or PsA unfortunately. As stated previously biologic drugs can run in the thousands of £'s per year. Those that qualify in the UK would normally get them on the NHS but it can be a long waiting game I.e many years of failing other treatments first. Good luck to you both.

Posted Tue 12 Apr 2022 00.30 by LondonWest
Had P on and off for many years 🤗

The NHS won’t give these treatments unless you have tried all the other cheaper treatments first You basically have to jump through many hoops before you get the biologic injection treatments It’s all about the costs sadly

To take part, sign in or register with us