Diet!!

Posted Fri 1 Apr 2022 20.44 by LBuckley
Hi my name is Louise. I am a mother to 4 children 👶

Hi I have had psoriasis now for 18 years. Had steroids, light therapy, I have now been put on methotrexate tablets and have regular blood tests. It is currently in a flare up stage and getting me down again. I was wondering if anyone had experience with changing their diet to help the psoriasis Any advice would be appreciated x

Posted Sat 2 Apr 2022 09.41 by Sizzy
Psoriasis 40 years, most treatments tried over this time, currently on biologics (stelara) as nothing else work.

Hi Louise, Everyone is so different but I think there are flare foods personally. Any nightshade veg (google for list) is disputed by professionals, but they cause gut flares for me which in turn cause psoriasis flares. Some swear by eating blueberries every day (there's a thread on this) but I have done for 3 years and they are not a miracle cure for me. No psoriasis Dr will say avoid anything other than perhaps alcohol, but a balanced low sugar diet would be beneficial. Good luck, everyone's journey is very different X

Posted Sat 2 Apr 2022 12.17 by Carole

Hi Louise, Many years ago I read an article on how the Hay Diet could help psoriasis. I tried it for two years and it did help. Though it was very boring!

1 Posted Fri 8 Apr 2022 08.44 by gilteva

There is no relation between food and psoriasis. You can save the light therapy cost by buying your own lamp. see at ebay for example.

Posted Fri 8 Apr 2022 11.40 by Sizzy
Psoriasis 40 years, most treatments tried over this time, currently on biologics (stelara) as nothing else work.

Gilteva Everyone is entitled to their own opinion but I disagree with both your points. How would you actually know? Diet can play a part in making you worse, not saying it can cure, but certain foods and alcohol for sure, can cause flares. Dermatologists always refer to alcohol having negative impact and will not discount foods (but will not advise). I personally would not have a home light therapy lamp and certainly not a second hand one as may have damage you cannot see. Light therapy can further increase our skin cancer chance and should always be supervised.

Posted Tue 12 Apr 2022 00.38 by LondonWest
Had P on and off for many years 🤗

My personal opinion is diet doesn’t effect psoriasis at all I tried them all from Keto to no dairy foods and all didn’t make any difference at all People link an improvement with psoriasis on avoiding certain foods but my take on that is that their psoriasis was going to improve anyway what food they actually consumed didn’t make any difference Each to their own opinion anyway

Posted Sun 17 Apr 2022 07.30 by Yacht

How long have you been selling light lamps on eBay? ;-)

Posted Fri 22 Apr 2022 03.21 by Mary1968

Hello there LBuckley From my own experience, there is definitely a connection between diet and psoriasis As in some foods can make it worse, and some foods can help it clear up I will experience small flares, if I consume too much of the following : sugar, dairy, gluten, alcohol, chocolate and nightshades. I have actually cleared myself with a combination of diet and supplements I had really bad psoriasis my whole life from childhood to around 40. Been clear more than 10 years now. And the ONLY reason that clearance occurred, was from me thinking outside the box, from what I had been told my entire life. I was told that diet had no connection and medications were the only solution - 95% of doctors and dermatologists will say there is no diet connection......but from my own experience I know there is. This past week, I had a small flare around my forehead and eyes. My fault entirely, as I did go a bit crazy with my chocolate and ice-cream consumption in April, and now I am paying the price. Stress is another trigger, so I need to be aware on how I am managing that.

To take part, sign in or register with us