Moisturise before or after creams

Posted Mon 18 Apr 2022 09.06 by Joe London

Hello, I am 38 and have just developed guttate P for the first time. I think triggered by covid and very stressful time at work and getting ready for my wedding. I also have an ongoing mild sore throat that I can't shift. Any way the dr has given my he usual steriods which is hard over most of my bidy but I dont really understand whether to moisturise before of after. Hope I can get to a dermatologist soon so I can get light therapy!

Posted Fri 22 Apr 2022 04.23 by Mary1968

Yes, stress and a sore throat are both known triggers.

Posted Fri 22 Apr 2022 19.35 by Steview
A P sufferer for over 30 years, through good and bad times.

Moisturise before steroid. Good luck.

Posted Sat 23 Apr 2022 03.22 by OhNo_NotAgain? (edited Sat 23 Apr 2022 03.24 by OhNo_NotAgain?)

I would reommend gto use the steroid or other topical treatment you have been prescribed BEFORE using moisturiser. My logic is that I would want the prescribed treatment to penetrate the skin ahead of the moisturiser and not be blocked at all. That is certainly the protocol I followed, with success.

Posted Sat 23 Apr 2022 15.51 by Steview
A P sufferer for over 30 years, through good and bad times.

OhNo_NotAgain? That was my understanding and practice for about 35 years until I was advised otherwise couple of years ago. Logic sounds odd but numerous simple google search results confirmed this.

Posted Sat 23 Apr 2022 17.25 by Joe London

Thanks all. I have had quite bad reaction to the steroid cream so have had to stop. Fingers crossed for light therapy. Thanks for taking the time to reply

To take part, sign in or register with us