Tattoo removal and immuno suppresents

Posted Fri 20 May 2022 20.18 by Seb80

Hi everyone I’ve recently started on adalimumab and it’s working a treat (meaning 90% clear skin and currently no side effects! Yay!) after many years of suffering with large painful plaques. With the clear skin I’ve realised that the ridiculously stupid Japanese symbol tattoos I got when I was 16 are as ridiculous as my parents told me they were and I would like to get them removed. I’ve got a derm appt in July where I’ll ask for a medical answer, but I thought I’d ask my brothers and sisters in arms if anyone has any experiences with this and could shed some light. Wishing you all clear skin and happy minds Thanks Seb

Posted Sat 21 May 2022 12.33 by OhNo_NotAgain?

It is known that physical trauma to the skin CAN trigger psoriasis. I first came out in psoriasis in 1980 in my final year at university - I suspect stress was a significant factor. Over the next 5-6 years it faded with no exams and plenty of exposure to sun and sea, and coal-tar based treatments. I got tattoos in 1990, 1994 and 2000, with no flare-up at all. But in 1998 I grazed my shin on a broken floorboard while installing a new bathroom, and the graze (approx 1/2 inch by 1.5 inches) turned into plaque psoriasis as it healed. That hung around for 7 or 8 years before finally fading. There is no certainty that tattoo removal WOULD trigger peoriasis, but be aware that it might.

Posted Sat 21 May 2022 21.02 by Steview
A P sufferer for over 30 years, through good and bad times.

Ah yes the koebner effect. I would discuss it with your dermatologist before making any rash decisions, excuse the pun. On a similar note I once asked my then dermatologist about getting a tattoo, he said get a small and see how things went. I didn't get one but I the same vein you could start off by getting one of your small tattoos removed. Good luck.

To take part, sign in or register with us