DAIRY ?

Posted Sun 29 May 2022 04.55 by Mary1968

DAIRY: Well talk about excitement - yes I need to get out more !! Dairy is a major issue for me in relation to psoriasis. Which is most unfortunate - as it use to be my favourite food source in the history of the known universe. Yes I LOVED it. Oh my gosh, I loved milk and I adored all types of cheese, cream, ice-cream, yogurt, cheese, buttermilk, cheese - have I mentioned cheese :) I obviously didn't know this when I was younger, as I practically lived on the stuff and was also covered from head-to-toe in psoriasis. My dermatologist told me the best way to help calm psoriasis, was to stop eating dairy, but I was addicted and could not face life without it. Until it got to the stage where realized, I could no longer live with psoriasis, and could no longer tolerate the steroidal treatments. In effort to remain clear of psoriasis, I have gone from eating it several times a day - to several times a month Anyway, the point of this post is – as healthy as dairy can be for some - I also know dairy can be inflammatory for certain conditions, but until today I never understood how it was so I think this link has answered that question Quotes from the article that particularly piqued my interest were: “The association between skin disorders and nutritional deficiencies is well established” “Phytanic acid is found in food stuffs like dairy products, meat, and fish, and impaired oxidation leads to Refsum’s disease causing a rough scaly thickening over the extremities”. Could explain why dairy is detrimental for psoriasis, since plaque psoriasis is by its very nature - rough, thick and scaly DIET IN DERMATOLOGY: PRESENT PERSPECTIVES https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2965901/ May be of interest to someone else?

Posted Fri 29 Jul 2022 13.48 by veganmama1995

I am vegan and yeah it was super hard to give up dairy I wasn't bothered about giving up meat but dairy was super hard I was angry for weeks as I wasn't allowing myself to have it but my skin got so much better from giving it up six years later I haven't had any dairy but still suffer with psoriasis I am still in a flare-up from giving birth to my son 13 months ago but currently trying to work more on my health are you still off dairy?

To take part, sign in or register with us