Psoriasis diagnosis post pregnancy

Posted Wed 15 Jun 2022 10.40 by Kayshi94

Hi all, I’m really struggling to come to terms with an extremely severe psoriasis break out after giving birth, I noticed a rash on my face and neck the day I was going into be induced and it spread rapidly from there. I was diagnosed with pustular psoriasis eventually but it was a massive shock as I’d never had any skin problems before. The dermatologists believe that it is possible that a combination of the hormones and blood pressure medication I was on towards the end of my pregnancy has triggered it. Initially I was treated with topical medications including enstilar which seemed to help, but it stopped being effective and it was covering me completely (although no pustules after a while) so the dermatologist suggested cyclosporine. I’m a week in (75mg twice a day due to blood pressure) and no really change as yet. I’m beyond upset by what has happened and can’t quite come to terms with this after having clear skin. It is so hard to try juggle being a new mum with this awful condition. I have had 2 biopsies and the initial one showed it to be a drug reaction, but the second has indicated psoriasis. I have a lovely derm team who see me weekly and I call if I need, but it’s so hard to cope to terms with. As it’s on my hands and face I have avoided going out. Thankfully I have a supportive husband and family but it’s very tough. I’m praying the cyclosporine kicks in soon, Any similar experiences or advice would be appreciated.

Posted Sun 19 Jun 2022 07.06 by JamesFoster

Your Dr has prescribed Cyclosporine because it acts quickly within a few weeks. it is not a long term solution and will not be prescribed for longer than a year. Are you on 1 or 2 blood pressure medicines. Is your blood pressure controlled ie 120/80. Cyclosporine will raise your blood pressure by 5 or 10 mmHg. How much of your body is covered by Ps? Your Dr has all treatment options available to him in due course. Even if less than 10% of your body is covered. I know what is like to have Ps on my face. I have been using Methotrexate. I am now moving onto Skyrizi.

To take part, sign in or register with us