Sulfasalazine, Mental Health and Covid Anxiety

Posted Mon 11 Jul 2022 16.27 by bdan139 (edited Mon 11 Jul 2022 16.30 by bdan139)
I get psoriarsis on my scalp and face. I feel very self conscious and lacking in confidence,

Hi all and thank you for reading. After years of arthritis, joint replacements, spinal surgery, psoriasis, Fibromyalgia and poor mental health, my rheumatologist has decided to treat me with the above medication for PsA. I have read so much information I feel like my head will drop off and most confusing of all - some of it is contradictory. I have to make a decision, so do I start Sulfasalazine or not??? During the pandemic I have had 3 major surgeries in 12 months - its been hectic and my mental health has suffered, due to my complete isolation I have had to undergo in order to get through surgery and recovery periods. I don't have any family apart from my 2 daughters who have now left home to study at University. During the course of the pandemic, I have found it impossible to reintegrate into the groups I used to attend due to sheer panic at being in rooms with plenty of people. This was my entire life pre pandemic and so I have lost touch with most people I know which has increased my poor mental health. To read Sulfasalazine will mean I need to avoid infections has blown my mind.....where do I even start with this? I feel unable to go out as it is and worry this medication will curtail the little freedoms I do have. Its just too much and I can't cope. Also I have read that this medication can cause sun sensitivity .....which is something I already suffer with badly - another reason for me to not take it. I know that if I do have PsA it is better being treated for many reasons, but I am struggling with the complications it may bring to my door. I fear being unable to go out - being outside is my world right now (literally) and I miss my groups with an ache I find hard to express. I am so tired of 'friends' telling me 'I just have to get on with it' and literally leaving me out of get togethers as I do not feel comfortable going to the busy places they like - they do not have health problems so do not understand. Can anyone offer any helpful advice please?

Posted Fri 12 Aug 2022 11.47 by Mary1968

Speak to the doctor about using a different medication - as this one is obviously freaking you out big time

To take part, sign in or register with us