What to do next

Posted Mon 18 Jul 2022 11.47 by mollylottie08

Hi, I am 22 years old and was diagnosed with psoriasis about a year and half ago. Upon diagnosis the doctors was unsure if I had Guttate Psoriasis or Pityriasis Lichenoides. I started with my first flare up in winter 2020 after COVID though it then cleared up on its own throughout spring. However, since autumn 2021 to the present day my psoriasis has progressively returned and the flare ups are much worse than the first time round. It has now spread all over my body and in my scalp. I have been put on multiple steroid oitments including Dovonex, Enstillar and Dalonev. The steroids seem to work on some parts of my body (mainly my back) but only for short peroids of time and if I stop using them for a couple of days my psoriasis will flare back up aggresively. I am unsure what to do next, as the flare ups are still getting worse and because I am so young I do not want to keep relying on these strong steroid creams as they thin your skin and don't seem to be that effective for me. The doctor intially said this flare up would go away on its own again like the first time, but after having it for 9 months I am uncertain. Part of me wants to come off the steroids all together and see if changing my diet has an impact, but I am very causious and self-conscious of how bad my skin will look. I also may ask the doctor about changing my combined contraceptive pill and see if this has an impact but I am not sure if its related. I am curious to see what people would advise as I am very new to this and I appreciate any help!

Posted Thu 21 Jul 2022 11.29 by Psoriasis Association (Admin)Mod - from Northampton, UK
Patient Advocacy and Communications Manager at the Psoriasis Association

Hi Molly, Sorry to hear that you are experiencing persistent flare-ups of psoriasis and that your existing treatments aren't proving effective for long periods of time. If you would like information or support regarding psoriasis and treatments, please do feel free to contact our helpline here at the Psoriasis Association, and have a chat with one of our team. The helpline is a confidential service and is open Monday - Friday from 9am - 4pm. You can reach us either by phone on 01604 251 620, email at mail@psoriasis-association.org.uk, or WhatsApp on 07387716439. I hope that is helpful. Best wishes Dom Psoriasis Association

Posted Fri 22 Jul 2022 04.26 by Mary1968

Hello Molly If you are keen on trying the diet route, then the following two books are pretty popular: Radiant (Recipes to heal your skin from within) by Hanna Sillitoe Healing Psoriasis (The Natural Alternative) by John Pagano You may need to wean off the steroids slowly, as they can cause flare ups if you stop suddenly.

To take part, sign in or register with us