Psoriasis and live vaccines

Posted Mon 1 Aug 2022 15.09 by Sheilac

Hi. I’m 70 and have been invited to have the shingles vaccine. I was advised by my gp many years ago to always avoid live vaccines. I asked my practice nurse if I could have Shingrix, which is a non live vaccine, but she couldn’t get permission for this as it is reserved for people who are immune-compromised. Has anyone over 70 had the live Zostavax shingles vaccine and did you have any adverse effects? Many thanks

Posted Mon 1 Aug 2022 15.14 by Winter (edited Mon 1 Aug 2022 15.15 by Winter)

I am young and never had the shingles vaccine but i feel like this is outdated advice. I had to get like 10 different vaccinations before i started my biologics for my psoriasis and had next to no symptoms. I would definetly ask a dermatologist if you have access to one or your gp/maybe even another gp for advice. Just to make sure its alright before you do it

Posted Mon 1 Aug 2022 15.17 by lizziep

Hi - I am 77. I didn't have the shingles vaccine when I was 70 because I was on an immune suppressant at the time (skilirence) and it specifically said not to take a live vaccine. When COVID struck, I took myself off the immune suppressant for obvious reasons. I waited 6 months and then had the shingles jab - no ill effects. Hope that helps.

To take part, sign in or register with us