Need help!!

Posted Sun 14 Aug 2022 21.58 by Geordieboy83

Hi guys, I'm new to this site, but have been a sufferer of psoriasis for about 20 years now, all the treatments I've been using have helped but can't seem to find the best treatment to use, When I go to the doctors, they only give me the same type of creams or ointments that work but only last for a couple of weeks, I ask for other kinds of treatments but don't seem to get anywhere, I was watching embarrassing bodies on channel 4 the other day and the patient on there was given some tablets over a 3 month period and it cleared her psoriasis, to the point where she only had a few little patches on her elbows and behind her knees, which I could live with,, I have it really bad on my legs and upper body, I know I shouldn't be but I'm really embarrassed by it and always have the main affected areas covered. I didn't catch the name of the drug, so I wonder if any of you guys have had this type of treatment and if its available on the NHS? Cheers guys

Posted Mon 15 Aug 2022 13.08 by lizziep

Hi Geordieboy. Your GP has a very limited scope of what to prescribe and to go further you will have to have a referral to dermatology which as you know is very slow at the. moment. When you go to a dermatologist in UK, they have cheaper options that they work through before you reach pills or injections for NHS treatment. They may well suggest Light Treatment first. Most things are available on the NHS, but it will take you sometime to get to them, so if you feel you want them, you need to start the ball rolling with a referral. All the best.

Posted Mon 15 Aug 2022 16.10 by Geordieboy83

Hi lizziep, Thank you for getting back to me :) I've asked to be referred to the dermatology department loads of times but never seem to get past the first stage of treatment, I had a video appointment with the doctor this morning and he just gave me another 2 tubes of Betamethasone valerate steroid cream and Dovonex ointment. Feels like I'm banging my head against the wall, I know with the way the NHS is at the moment its going to be hard to get the help I need but it would be nice for the doctors to listen. Do you have any more treatment suggestions?

Posted Mon 15 Aug 2022 16.13 by lizziep

I am 'under' the hospital - it's took me 17 months to get back to see them after COVID - persevere with asking for a referral!

Posted Mon 15 Aug 2022 16.16 by Geordieboy83

Thank you, I've been asking since I started showing signs of having it.. Good luck

To take part, sign in or register with us