Anyone experience Hair Loss due to tar shampoos?

Posted Fri 26 Aug 2022 00.23 by Conniepr

Hi, new here. Diagnosed with scalp psoriasis a few months ago. Cut my long hair off as was told I must wash my hair daily now. Was also told I'll have this problem for the rest of my life. :( Good thing I'm already old! (62) QUESTIONS: 1) Why must I wash my hair daily? 2) Will the tar shampoo have any negative long term effects, like hair loss, if i continue to use it 4-5 times a week as instructed by my dermatologist?

Posted Fri 26 Aug 2022 15.53 by Sandie

Hi Conniepr Firstly you are definitely NOT old. I’ve just hit 74 and refuse, absolutely refuse to be old! I had my first ever flare up of my P last year and have it on my scalp for the first time. I can only say - I use T-Gel coal tar shampoo twice a week - it’s really helping and I’ve no hair loss that I’ve noticed! Hope others have more information for you. Sandie

Posted Sun 13 Nov 2022 20.29 by Katie1717

Hello, My 6 year old daughter has very bad psoriasis all over her body. The doctor has prescribed her with sebco. Its a stronger version of t gel. We have seen a great improvement on her scalp. Maybe worth a try :) x

Posted Mon 14 Nov 2022 05.50 by adamcooper - 33 from

There is no confirmed studies that daily or long-term use of tar shampoos cause hair loss.

To take part, sign in or register with us