Acitretin medication

Posted Fri 30 Sep 2022 14.03 by Tina Borer

I have severe nail psoriasis on both my hands and feet. I was on methotrexate but due to the side effects my. Consultant has suggested changing to Acitretin. I have just collected the medication and am concerned regarding the side effects. Has anyone had any experience with this medication? Can you let me know how you got on with it and any concerns you have had please. Many thanks Tina

Posted Fri 30 Sep 2022 17.43 by Cazzy27

Hi Tina. I too couldn't handle the side effects of methotrexate so I was put on Acitetrin. I have been on it about 3 years now and only have a couple of side effects i.e. sore nostrils (sometimes) and thinning of hair but only at the start of treatment. It has grown back now. I'm only on 10mg a day so it's a very low dose. As it affects the liver you're not meant to have alcohol. That's one of the drawbacks! I only have psoriasis on the soles of my feet but it can be really painful sometimes especially if they get dry and hot.

Posted Fri 30 Sep 2022 23.15 by Steview
A P sufferer for over 30 years, through good and bad times.

I took acitretin for many years, probably too long t.b.h. From memory after a few months my P was improving but during that time I started to experience the nasty side effects this drug comes with. Most of the side effects were visible and uncomfortable and remained till I stopped taking it. I still suffer with a bloody crusty nose even after years off it. Sorry to be so negative, there is a positive that it isn't an immunosupresent and gave relative clearence although never completely clear. Out of all the systemic and biologic treatments I have had this was by far the worst experience. Good luck.

1 Posted Tue 4 Oct 2022 13.11 by JMay

I was on acetretin for a couple of years before going onto methotrexate. I had no side effects at all, but it was not nearly as effective at treating the psoriasis as some other treatments I have had. Good luck!

To take part, sign in or register with us