Biological Treatments for Psoriatic Arthritis

Posted Mon 24 Oct 2022 20.03 by del534

Hello. New member looking for advice please. I am in the Armed Forces and have been recently been diagnosed with Psoriatic Arthritis on my left foot on my 2 small toes. On discussing treatment, Methotrexate was discussed as a potential treatment. Unfortunately, this would cause my medical grade to be downgraded due to the constant blood monitoring, and I would face being medically discharged. Basically in a nut shell, DMARDS, Anti TMF and other Novel agents are no good due to this. I have been reading about Biological treatments due to this. Do any of the Biological treatments require blood testing whilst on this treatment?

Posted Tue 25 Oct 2022 21.45 by Steview
A P sufferer for over 30 years, through good and bad times.

Similar to the systemic treatments, yes you would require regular blood tests if on biologic medication. Good luck.

Posted Tue 1 Nov 2022 09.41 by Lex

Hello del534, If you are in the Armed Forces i believe you can also try regular (or daily) cold exposure as a treatment. (Don't need to do cold baths all the time. Just start with cold showers) I am being very, very serious here! Just educate yourself and read up on the benefits of cold exposure for your body. Do not discard this as some kind of internet hype and give it a chance. I have had psoriasis for almost 40 years now. This 'therapy' is the only thing ever worked for me in reducing +20% body covered to - 2%. (Besides UV treatment which i cannot take anymore) It changed a lot for me! I was also prescribed methotraxte and regular blood monitoring. But the M had too much side effects. Don't really like taking biologicals. I know the Psoriatic Arthritis is on the inside and my Plaque Psoriasis is on the outside, but practicing cold exposure releases all kinds of healthy hormones in your blood stream which benefit both. What worked for me: Take daily cold showers. (no more warm) Maximum 5 minutes around 60°F and 70°F (15°...20°C) is cold enough. In my case positive results started after a month. The body needs time to heal. Take care!

Posted Tue 1 Nov 2022 09.55 by del534

Lex Thanks for the advice. Will give this a try. Have been offered steroid injections on my toes to see if the inflammation goes down so hopefully this will work.

To take part, sign in or register with us