Methotrexate & chest infection symptoms

Posted Thu 27 Oct 2022 00.20 by Pamela88

Has anyone taking methotrexate suffered from chest infection symptoms? It's hit me like a ton of bricks and don't know whether to ride it out or call for advice?

Posted Thu 27 Oct 2022 01.29 by Trish

I was on methotrexate years ago. I was told it was imperative that I didn’t drink alcohol, I don’t drink, but ended up with fatty deposits on my kidneys I was told it was because I’d drunk alcohol, which I hadn’t !! I stopped taking them . If I were you I’d get advice

Posted Mon 31 Oct 2022 11.33 by redsquirrel

so good to hear honesty about the side effects of metho. YES I did have a really bad chest infection shortly after I went onto metho - I had to have 2 lots of anti biotics to clear it. Since then - ive been on metho for 5 years - its been ok but my breathing has definitely suffered. I had what I think was a severe allergic reation recently to a different brand of metho (I do have a sensitive allergic immune system) so I have decided to stop for a while. I just want a break from the crippling muscle fatige and exhaustion, and the reaction I had was difficulty breathing and rapid heartbeat - I am not prepared to risk full on anaphalaptic shock to my health. So Ive stopped - my skin is awful again but I need to discuss next steps with my hospital. Hope this helps - you know - I get my bloods monitored and they all come back clear - but what about having our lungs monitored throughout? I will ask if this would be possible...I think our lungs are erm...quite important???!! they are monitored before treatment but I think they need monitoring during....anyway good luck on your journey - it is a journey and I have to say that metho has been a miracle cure for me up until now - sorry - I didnt want to put you off trying it! We are all different. best wishes

Posted Tue 27 Dec 2022 17.13 by Yacht

Methotrexate is (basically) chemotherapy. Gotta be so careful with it. Indeed, metho has a very low success rate for psoriasis. Perhaps as low as 10%. Surprised it remains so popular (in my view).

Posted Thu 12 Jan 2023 03.22 by Abolla2

I’ve been on metho since 2016 and take by pill. I also use dovobet for the odd breakout on my elbows. It’s been a lifesaver for me. I had psoriasis on the bottom of my feet. Very sore and my feet were swollen. I did get bronchitis 2 times in 2017 but that’s it. Do not go in the sun the day after meditation I got hives. But beyond that to be honest I say take it. But I have heard the pills are easier on you than the needle. I go for blood work every 3 months now. All good

To take part, sign in or register with us