Acrtietin

Posted Thu 1 Dec 2022 21.05 by Pippin

Has anyone ever tried the above medication I would like any information about it. My consultant wants me to try it

Posted Fri 2 Dec 2022 22.42 by Megaman

Yes I tried it a few years ago and saw a massive improvement. Cleared up by about 80 to 90% and stayed clear for about 18 months.

Posted Wed 7 Dec 2022 12.29 by Pippin

Many thanks for answering

Posted Mon 12 Dec 2022 20.13 by SarahSibbald

I’ve just started taking this today. I’m hoping I don’t get too many side effects and it works. I’ll keep my fingers crossed for you too.

Posted Fri 23 Dec 2022 07.29 by Kirstmcp

It was one of the first tablet form medications I tried, it did improve my psoriasis briefly before making my skin quite red and then I started to loose eyelashes and that was enough for me. I stopped and moved onto the next option which I think was methotrexate, which wasn’t mush help either. I hope you have more success.

Posted Tue 27 Dec 2022 18.49 by Yacht

If you mean "acitretin", then research tends to show a 30-40% chance of psoriasis clearance. This puts it in the middle of psoriasis treatments. Not the best, not the worst. Once you stop acitretin, the psoriasis often comes back. It comes with a host of possible harsh side-effects, such as hearing loss, back pain, etc. Imv, acitretin is a high-risk, medium-success treatment for psoriasis. I wouldn't / don't take it.

Posted Tue 27 Dec 2022 21.12 by Pippin

Thank you so much for your reply I thought about it for a long time and decided not to take it. I had light therapy early this year and it went away with 100per cent. I was clear for 2 months and it started to come back, my dermatologist didn't want me to have anymore for a year. I have since then kept a note of all the food I have eaten and discovered that cashew nuts trigger a big flare up. I have stopped eating them and only have a few patches of psoriasis which I am treating with the Enstilar and epimax cream with excellent results, Pip x

Posted Thu 29 Dec 2022 11.14 by Diane

Hi, was prescribed Acitretin a few days ago so it's too early for me to comment on its effectiveness or any side effects. When the dermatologist prescribed it I asked if there was anything I should avoid and was told there wasn't. However, when I read the medication information leaflet it said not to consume alcohol. I checked about this with the dermatologist, via the receptionist (I didn't speak with the dermatologist in person) and was told it was okay to have alcohol "now and then". I'm not really sure what that means so haven't had any alcohol over Christmas. Does anyone have any information, please?

Posted Thu 29 Dec 2022 20.52 by Steview
A P sufferer for over 30 years, through good and bad times.

Like other systemic treatments the normal advice is to not drink alcohol due to possible liver or kidney damage. Some may advise to restrict alcohol consumption within the safe guidelines. I was taking Acitretin for years and had the odd drink now and again but I was not a regular drinker. My opinion of Acitretin is not favourable unfortunately. This drug has many side effects. Having been prescribed numerous systemic and biologic treatments over the last 30 or so years, this is one I would not like to return to.

To take part, sign in or register with us