Methotrexate

Posted Mon 5 Dec 2022 19.47 by michelle373
I have had psoriasis for 24 years.

I have just started on methotrexate starting on 5mg once a week going up to 10mg, due to a massive flare up after having 4th covid jab and covid for the 3rd time and using creams and lotions for the past 33 years,I needed to try something else to try. I was wondering how long did it take when on methotrexate to notice a difference.

Posted Mon 5 Dec 2022 20.09 by Noel M (edited Mon 5 Dec 2022 20.21 by Noel M)

I started on methotrexate in March this year, anlso after a severe flareup in psoriasis last winter. I’m not sure whether this was Covid related, as I’ve never actually had Covid, but obviously there could be some relationship to vaccinations, I simply don’t know. Admittedly I’m on a higher dose than you (15 mg weekly), however, I would say that I began to notice a difference probably in 4 to 6 weeks. I had previously been on acitretin for many many years. On the whole, I would say that methotrexate is a better solution - initially, it cleared the severe flare up very quickly – but now it’s about 85 to 90% effective and I still need to use enstilar foam quite a bit Hope that helps you

Posted Mon 5 Dec 2022 20.35 by Sharon J.

Thanks for the question and answer on Methotrexate. I've just been prescribed 15 mg weekly and wondering what to expect from side effects. Other than a few spots on my legs, my hands and feet have about placed me on disability status. Ive tried 4 different steroids; however, each ate through layers of skin. So effective or not, I couldn't continue on the steroids. Supposedly these are my "golden years", but I beg to differ! Lol ...

Posted Mon 5 Dec 2022 21.49 by Noel M

Methotrexate has a rap sheet about a mile long, so it’s difficult to be precise in side effects. The main ones I’ve experienced have been a bit of ‘digestive turbulence’ some days, and I think an effect on blood glucose (I’m also a type 2 diabetic) which in my brain has resulted in a couple of kilos weight gain. This isn’t on the sheet as a side effect but to me the effect seemed pretty immediate. It’s an irritation more than anything else as I had been steadily losing weight which now seems to have stopped. Heigh ho….

To take part, sign in or register with us