Diet & Lifestyle

Posted Fri 30 Dec 2022 11.11 by MoMangan (edited Wed 4 Jan 2023 10.26 by MoMangan)

HI everyone I am new to the forums but not new to psoriasis. For me it started in puberty and has not changed a lot since ( now 61) unless I really focus on my diet and lifestyle. What I have found to work well when I have the time to do it properly is to Avoid all forms of sugar - makes me itch like mad - including Alcohol Use a local sunbed once a week Coconut oil or Apple cider vinegar ( diluted in warm water) helps stop the itch Oat based baths and lotions provide good moisturisation Avoid stress Drink more water to hydrate loose weight and exercise more ( I love walking and gardening) - helps with the stress too Avoid dairy and red meat ( I have been vegetarian for years but now going vegan) I use the prescribed vitamin D cream when really bad but am avoiding all steroids which can cause a rebound effect and make it worse as soon as I stop especially on my scalp I hope that helps and I would be interested to hear other people's diet tips?

Posted Tue 3 Jan 2023 19.52 by VARSHA P

This is really nice. Same with me new in Forum but not new to psoriasis. Vegetarian as well. Just wanted to ask are male or female. As I am female and psoriasis getting worse due to other reason. Keep up the good work and stay fit

Posted Wed 4 Jan 2023 09.40 by MoMangan

Hi Varsha I am female so wearing nice dresses and clothes has been a problem all of my life ;-( . I also like to swim and go swimming whenever my skin is under control. I find the changing seasons affect my psoriasis with it getting worse in autumn and winter? I am now retired so my stress levels have reduced a lot, so this year is the year to get it sorted. ;-) Marjorie

Posted Wed 4 Jan 2023 10.06 by VARSHA P

Hi Mo That's really great. Just wanted to ask that during your Menopause did it got worse. Yes winters are always a problem. I am also trying to reduce dairy. Sugar is not a issue as I can control on that. Seems like I am on premenopause as psoriasis has flared a bit then usual. But again this disease is so complicated that you never know what's exactly the issue is. We just have to guess.

Posted Wed 4 Jan 2023 10.25 by MoMangan

Hi Varshe I went through the menopause without any meds due to health reasons but I did find that cutting down on caffeine and losing weight helped with both the menopause (hot flushes) and my skin? Losing weight of course meant eating healthier and walking a lot ( fresh air for free) so they must be beneficial for the skin too. But we are all different so keeping a food diary might help you to identify your triggers?

Posted Wed 4 Jan 2023 11.02 by VARSHA P

Many thanks for reply and will yes have cut down on coffee and have switched to green tea. Still trying. Many thanks for suggestions.

Posted Thu 26 Jan 2023 07.58 by superqyi

Hello everyone, I've just been diagnosed with psoriasis and new to this forum. I'm 36yrs old female. My last flare up triggered an allergic reaction to prawns, or vice versa. I was never allergic to any shellfish or anything really, so it was a bit of a shock. I really think the doctor should have advised on dietary awareness, because it wasn't until I read up about Psoriasis online that I found out that I should avoid shell fish, spicy food, alcohol. Later my friend mentioned that red meat also trigger flare ups. Now from this forum I should avoid sugary food and even dairy. Since my shell fish allergy had calmed down (swelling and redness) with steroid tablets and antihistamine tablets, I'm left to deal with very dry skin and redness over the lower half of my face. I'm moisturizing lots at night and even while I'm at work I top up a few times. Is that the right thing to do? To be honest I don't think I have any other option as it is unsightly dry face to show up to work with everyday. I have given up with any sort of make up for months now be the way. A burning question I have for dealing with this face flare up right now is, is it better to wash the flare ups daily with emollient moisturiser? Or better to limit washing in case washing strips off the skin's natural oil too much? Or I should be washing more frequently to hydrate my skin. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Posted Thu 26 Jan 2023 14.00 by psoriasis123

Would be sceptical about going veggie. Animal products have a lot of beneficial nutrients that help psoriasis like vitamin a, vitamins d and b12.

To take part, sign in or register with us