Newbie with some questions

Posted Tue 10 Jan 2023 11.16 by LouliePops

Hi all. I am 43f with mild psoriasis on my face and scalp. Diagnosed by GP and not dermatologist just over a year ago. I have Daktacort 2%/1% on repeat and it does seem to clam things down for a couple of days. I also have capasal shampoo on repeat too. Other issues with me are diabetic - well controlled (type 2 but unusual progression - they are in no hurry but discussing testing for type 1 as I was insulin dependant within 7 months), pre-menopause with bloodwork confirming it and other bloodwork showing signs of clinical inflammation consistently (with no outward symptoms of being unwell). I feel like I am just firefighting at the moment when it comes to flair ups. It is not hugely itchy and I only occasionally claw at it in my sleep. Mainly it is located to my forehead, top of my nose which never fully clears up and have about 3 areas near my mouth which come and go with flairs. It presents with excessively flakey skin with red splotches underneath. I can clear the flakes with simple face wash (the brand simple - non exfoliating) in the shower but that still leaves the angry red skin. I use simple moisturiser as it doesn't trigger allergies and just try and keep my face clean and keep it as free from flakes as possible. I guess my questions are: Should I be doing something different with skincare regime? I have mainly avoided make up but I would like to see about something that can cover the redness for occasional use, any recommendations on brands/type? Are there any confirmed links to inflammation in bloodwork and flair ups? What should I expect from medication? Is firefighting the best I can hope for or should I be pushing for something else to try or a referral to dermo? It is so noticeable being on my face and really has knocked my confidence. Thanks for getting this far :D

Posted Thu 12 Jan 2023 18.36 by Catherine

Hi LouliePops, I'm afraid I can't help, I just wanted to sympathise. I have had psoriasis on my face for a couple of months now, having previously had it on my scalp and body, where it wasn't really obvious. I work with children and they usually say what they see! I have been using Tarte concealer. It doesn't seem to make the psoriasis worse, but I'm sure it's better not to wear makeup. I posted last week but nobody has answered, so maybe facial psoriasis is unusual. I don't know. Best of luck with that and the other stuff.

Posted Fri 13 Jan 2023 10.09 by Nelly

Hi I have psoriasis on my feet, I have finally had a consultation with the NHS dermatology clinic and for washing I have been prescribed QV wash, it can be used all over the body, it seems better than anything else I have used before. Hope this helps good luck.

Posted Fri 13 Jan 2023 14.45 by LouliePops

I see I can get some QV wash on amazon, I will pick up a bottle and if it is for me, can ask for it on script. (will post back on how that goes). Just a note that on the QV website it says *Mild enough for the face, suitable for the entire body.* thanks Nelly Catherine, kids are quite brutal with the no filter aren't they. The bonus I do find is the opportunity to explain about conditions that affect people to try and normalise the fact sometimes people look a bit different or have to do things to take care of themselves. Leads to acceptance and compassion when they are older (hopefully).

Posted Fri 13 Jan 2023 16.42 by Nelly

No worries hope it helps 😊

Posted Mon 16 Jan 2023 11.04 by Zoseby

I have used Eumovate ointment (not the cream version) on my face for years and inside my ears. This works a treat and keeps it at bay. This has allowed me to wear make up as normal. I’ve recent discovered dr jart cicapair. This is AMAZING! I have really red skin and the green covers it and I can set with powder and some concealer if needed. Looks like foundation and makes me feel so good. It’s a must try!

Posted Wed 3 May 2023 14.47 by LouliePops

Just wanted to give a bit of a follow up. I bought QV wash and lotion and have been using it for a month. Amazing results so far! Flakes are minimal, redness is still there a bit but much calmer. I got the wash and cream (lotion wasn't listed on their system) added to my repeat prescriptions today and it seemed to catch the doctors attention that its another solid option for suffers as it wasn't on her radar as a treatment option so you haven't just helped me, you could also be helping others in my town ;)

Posted Fri 5 May 2023 10.41 by Nelly

That's great news I find the wash really good, do you think the cream is a good moisturizer as I might get some as well

Posted Mon 8 May 2023 14.57 by briancromack
Hands, feet, legs, elbows, scalp, back, psoriatic arthritis

"I feel like I am just firefighting at the moment" Hi. I am in the same state. It feels like no one can, or will help you. Just wanted to give you some support/advice. This horrible disease of ours CAN be treated, it just takes a very long time. I'm 50 years old and I've had very severe psoriasis since I was 15. See your NHS dermatologist - they can and will help you - just ask. Take care, Brian

Posted Thu 11 May 2023 19.50 by Scotty

Hi It’s awful and depressing having Psoriasis. I think I have tried every cream and eating a certain way but nothing helps. The only time my Psoriasis kinda disappeared was when I was travelling in hot sunny countries. I’m on the verge of trying sunbeds cos my back is covered in dry skin and I get no decent sleep and my confidence is shot. I just wish I was normal and not flaking like a snake.

Posted Sat 13 May 2023 11.21 by Nelly

Hi Scotty I have purchased a uv lamp from MBS it's early days yet but my psoriasis seems to be improving, a lot of others have had good results to from these lamps too, it might be worth a try.

Posted Sat 13 May 2023 20.54 by Scotty

Hi Nelly Thank you for the info. How big are the lamps? I’m 6ft and it’s just my back that’s the problem. I just wonder if lying on a sunbed would help. How long have you had the condition for? I hate it,

Posted Wed 17 May 2023 16.41 by Nelly

Hi Scotty I have had psoriasis on my feet for about 2 years, I have the mini light box from MBS, they do full length light beds as well but they are expensive. The tubes that they use are the same tubes that the NHS use, they are not the same as a sunbed. I think some firms do rent out the light therapy lamps which could be a cheaper option. Yes I agree it is a horrible condition but I keep trying different things in hope something will work

Posted Wed 17 May 2023 16.51 by Scotty

Hi Nelly Thank you for the reply. I got another question, does a one’s condition get worse when the weather gets hotter. I have started to notice that recently, even though I live near Newcastle Upon Tyne and traditionally the weather is dull, it’s been sunny recently and I feel more itchy x

Posted Wed 17 May 2023 19.24 by briancromack
Hands, feet, legs, elbows, scalp, back, psoriatic arthritis

Light therapy only works for some people - certainly didn't work for me :)

Posted Fri 19 May 2023 11.56 by Nelly

Hi Scotty I have not noticed any difference in my psoriasis in summer or winter

Posted Fri 19 May 2023 15.06 by Scotty

Hi, maybe cos it’s hot it makes me feel worse. Anyway my number is 07551 972184 . I find it better if we could chat that way. Hate logging into forums etc. Regarding my psoriasis it’s makes me feel embarrassed to go swimming, it’s made embarrassed to do a lot of thing

Posted Wed 7 Jun 2023 14.33 by ScottyT
Late onset of scalp Psoriasis

I have Scalp psoriasis for about three years (I'm 84) Seen by consultant and tried various treatments, some which seemed to work for a short time but now my scalp seems to be scabby and sore, also bleeding due to my continuous scratching. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated as I'm so tired of it.

Posted Thu 8 Jun 2023 10.02 by Nelly

Hi I have psoriasis on my feet and have recently purchased a mini light therapy lamp from MBS, it's early days yet but there does seem to be an improvement. I think you can buy a hand held unit especially designed for the scalp, it my be worth having a look into these. Good look

Posted Tue 13 Jun 2023 11.42 by Mandy

Re scalp psoriasis my dermatologist suggested using pure almond oil a couple of times a week, leaving on for an hour then washing as normal. I use a nit comb which eases the flakes off and my scalp has been alot better since doing this.

To take part, sign in or register with us