Methotrexate

Posted Sat 4 Feb 2023 23.29 by Lzm92

Super nervous about the side effects of methotrexate! I have started it today after suffering with psoriasis my whole life. Does anyone have any tips on dealing with side effects? And when am I likely to see a difference in my skin? Thank you!x

Posted Sun 5 Feb 2023 16.07 by michelle373
I have had psoriasis for 24 years.

Hi,I've been on methotrexate for 8 weeks,I too was very apprehensive about it but I had a really bad flare up and creams wasn't touching it,I'm so glad I tried it,I haven't really had any side effects, just felt very tired but I can live with that and my psoriasis is clearing really well,I'd say I started to notice a difference within 4 weeks,my bloods so far have been OK,they are being monitored every month now. I take 10 mg once a week and folic on the days I don't take methotrexate.I hope you get on OK too and your psoriasis clears, I'm looking forward to a psoriasis free summer!🤞 Good Luck.x

Posted Sun 5 Feb 2023 18.40 by Steview
A P sufferer for over 30 years, through good and bad times.

Try taking your tablets at bed time on a day before a day off work. That way you can sleep off any nausea. You may still be nausea or tired the next day so rest up where possible. You will probably be on a low dose to start with so may not notice much side effect. Taking the folic acid as prescribed is meant to help reduce side effects. Also drink plenty of water to avoid dehydration. Hope it goes well for you.

Posted Sun 5 Feb 2023 20.17 by Lzm92

Thank you both! I have felt very sick today with a sore mouth! Not sure if the mouth is connected to methotrexate. Glad you’re seeing results after 8 weeks! Im almost 31 and the only time I’ve ever had clear skin is during my pregnancies! Hoping for some relief as the past 2/3 years have been the worst with flare ups! Xx

To take part, sign in or register with us