Psoriasis spread everywhere - hand held UV light

Posted Wed 22 Feb 2023 22.58 by Humphret

Every other winter I get guttate psoriasis. It starts on my back and spreads. This year it has been the worst. Along with that I have permanent plaque psoriasis on my shins that never goes, no matter what use. I bought a hand held uv machine, but the dermatologist said I should not use it. Has anyone else used one and what was the outcome?

Posted Tue 28 Feb 2023 14.42 by AzureBlue

I have a handheld lamp and it works really well. At first, I got a bit carried away and didn’t build up the times properly and burned my skin. Not badly, it was just a bit sore for a few days. As effective as they are, if you’re covering large areas it’ll take forever. I’ve since bought a 9 tube canopy and use the handheld lamp as and when or for areas the canopy cannot reach. I would definitely recommend a handheld lamp. Do you know why your dermatologist said not to use it?

Posted Tue 28 Feb 2023 14.55 by Humphret

No, my GP sent in pictures to the dermatologist and she really didn't explain. Thank you for your reply. How long does it take to see results. I have a area on my shin and soon to be going away to see family abroad and it looks terrible.

Posted Tue 28 Feb 2023 15.08 by AzureBlue

You’re welcome. I started to see results after about 3 sessions and the P had completely gone after about 12. Like I said, I did blast it and started with about 2 mins. I only did that because I have dark features and I never burn in the sun. I did burn with the lamp! All that was left was slightly dark pigmentation where the psoriasis had been.

Posted Tue 28 Feb 2023 15.30 by Humphret

Sorry one other quick question. Do you use any kind of creams or lotions before or after treatment? Do you use any creams anyway, ie steroids etc. Does it come back in the same area as mine is really bad.

Posted Tue 28 Feb 2023 15.53 by AzureBlue

That’s ok, the whole point of these forums is to help each other. I gave up on steroid creams ages ago so wasn’t using them at the time. I bought my equipment from MBS and they said to moisturise after the treatment not before as the light won’t be able to penetrate the skin properly so that is what I did. The P cleared up about 3 months ago and hasn’t come back yet but I know it will. When I start to see it coming back I’ll jump on it straight away instead of waiting for it to get bad. I’ll be starting from a very different position so hopefully it’ll clear up even faster than it did the last time.

Posted Tue 28 Feb 2023 15.54 by Humphret

Thank you, you have been very helpful......better than my doctor!

Posted Tue 28 Feb 2023 16.01 by AzureBlue

It doesn’t take much to be more helpful than Drs… I forgot to say, MBS also told me it works better on slightly damp skin so they said to use the lamp after a shower/bath. Would you mind coming back in a few weeks to say how you got on with it? I’d be genuinely interested to know. Good luck!

Posted Tue 28 Feb 2023 16.04 by Humphret

Yes I will definitely, thank you!

Posted Fri 3 Mar 2023 15.25 by kj

May I ask for the first time how long should I treat my face with hand held UVB? how do i increase the dose for my face? How further away should i place the bulb during the treatment?

To take part, sign in or register with us