Methotrate or cyclosporine

Posted Wed 8 Mar 2023 16.38 by Tracyjane

Hi Which one is the worse or the better or the safest ???

Posted Thu 9 Mar 2023 17.54 by lizziep

I've had them both and methotrexate didn't agree with me and adversely affected my liver, so I came off it and was on cyclosporin fo 8 years. They are both immune-supressants and we all react differently to them. Many here are happily on methotrexate and I was perfectly happy with cyclosporin. You would be carefully monitored so both should be safe.

Posted Thu 9 Mar 2023 18.28 by Tracyjane

Hi, thank you for your reply. How did you manage to stay on cyclosporine for that long his dermatologist said 1 year to 28 month maximum xx

Posted Thu 9 Mar 2023 21.34 by RedDog

I have been on Methotrexate for 30+ years. have been prescribed 25mg of Metoject for 7+ years. Fortunately, up 'til now it isn't causing any problems. i have blood tests every 4-6 weeks to make sure my liver is still holding up! I refused Cyclosporin, when offered, as I heard that it could affect your gums and teeth. Just to say I am prescribed MTX for Rheumatoid Arthritis.

Posted Thu 9 Mar 2023 21.54 by Tracyjane

Hi Thank you very much for your reply & wow 30 years that’s a long time. So my -14 year old sons on cyclosporine and he’s crossing over onto methotrexate. I’ve been so worried but some comments from people on these sites are making me feel a bit better x

Posted Fri 10 Mar 2023 07.39 by RedDog

Unfortunately, as you’re probably aware, these Dmards are a bit of a lottery. You have to find one that works for your body. A lot of people find that MTX makes them feel nauseous after taking for days after. The injections are much better in this regard. I was moved onto injections as the top dose of tablets wasn’t working as well as previously. Apparently your body can absorb up to a third more with injections. I’m sure your lad will be monitored very closely with regular blood tests. I’ve only just registered with the site as I’ve just been diagnosed with anal psoriasis. That was a complete shock . Good luck to your lad. 👍

Posted Fri 10 Mar 2023 08.07 by Tracyjane

Thankyou Reddog, good luck to you.& Thankyou for your reply x

To take part, sign in or register with us