Changing My Food

Posted Thu 16 Mar 2023 14.57 by Sarah

I’m really struggling with my psoriasis at the mo,it’s so inflamed,sore and itchy.I have it all over my body and really getting me down. I’m thinking of going vegan to see if that helps,I don’t eat diary as I can’t.I also have IBS too. Anyone have good experience with going vegan?

Posted Fri 17 Mar 2023 19.53 by Mary1968

Hello Sarah Going vegan can help some people clear P, and for others it does not work. Sometimes it helps to just remove all inflammatory food sources, and start from scratch again. However, you will need to ensure you go a "healthy vegan", with lots of nourishing and healing wholefoods. As a lot of people go junk food vegan, and rely on processed foods, and these will be very inflammatory for you, as they often contain gluten, wheat, sugar and lots of other "fillers" to make them taste good. With going vegan, you must do your research and learn how to combine meals. It is very easy to become nutritionally deficient very quickly, if you do a vegan diet the wrong way. The other thing is, a vegan diet can be a bit tricky with IBS. Whilst chickpeas and lentils contain good protein (you need protein to help skin healing), they are NOT the best things to eat with IBS. So if you do take this route, then you will need a good quality organic pea protein powder to take daily in a smoothie. The Low FODMAP Diet was specially developed by Monash University for IBS. You can only do it for short periods (up to 12 weeks I believe) ......Have you looked into that as a starting point at least?

To take part, sign in or register with us