Can private dermatologists refer you for biologics on the NHS?

Posted Wed 12 Apr 2023 12.16 by mt382

As the title suggests really. Long-term safety data aside, I get the impression biologics have a much lower side effect profile, impact on quality of life, and are, due to being more targeted, less toxic. Like many psoriasis sufferers, I am keen to jump over the DMARDs and straight into the biologics. My skin doesn't respond to topicals, the NB UVB unit I have at home is gradually becoming ineffective and doesn't really clear or reduce the severity anymore. I've been referred by a private dermatologist onto the NHS NB UVB waiting list before, but can they/would they refer you to biologics on the NHS? Anyone have any experience with this? Would seem a fairly inexpensive route?

Posted Wed 12 Apr 2023 12.23 by VARSHA P

I am in same position as you as also would like to be interested in the response.

Posted Wed 12 Apr 2023 15.08 by Steview
A P sufferer for over 30 years, through good and bad times.

I don't think there would be anything stopping the private dermatologist suggesting biologics as the best treatment. I think the possible stumbling block will be when you see an NHS dermatologist and they have to conform to NICE guidelines. Many private consultants also work as NHS dermatologists so will be aware of that. I don't have first hand experience so there may well be exceptions to the above. Good luck to both of you.

Posted Sun 21 May 2023 21.30 by mt382

Hi - i think you just commented helpfully on my other thread! Can I just clarify something for you on the above: We discuss NICE guidelines on placement all the time. Doctors absolutely do not have to comply with them and the reply when we ask whether they have to follow them is, "No. They're just guidelines, as long as I can medically justify what I've done" - Doctors can happily prescribe you drugs not licenced for psoriasis too! They just wouldn't, as they wouldn't be able to defend that if something went wrong. What I'm saying is that any dermo consultant could give any psoriasis patient biologics before metho if they so wished to. They don't, of course, to gatekeep finances, but they absolutely can - so nag, make your case, argue argue argue.

To take part, sign in or register with us