Coming off biologics

Posted Sat 15 Apr 2023 08.55 by Tracyjane

Hi my so. Is 15 & had psoriasis for 3 years it’s getting to point where he may need to take a biologic, I’m wondering if it’s made worse by puberty & wether he’ll be able to come off the biologic in a few years or will it be for life ? Any views welcome please

Posted Sat 15 Apr 2023 16.41 by Steview (edited Sat 15 Apr 2023 16.44 by Steview)
A P sufferer for over 30 years, through good and bad times.

Hi Tracy, I can't answer whether puberty will make it worse, maybe, maybe not. Although studies suggest the former. As for coming off biologics, my dermatologist told me if I had no adverse reaction then I would be on biologics for life. From personal experience if I was to stop the treatment within weeks I would be starting to relapse. You don't say where you are from but in the UK under NICE guidelines usually one has to try and fail two systemic treatments and UVB before being prescribed biologics. Has your Son tried any of those? Good luck.

Posted Mon 24 Apr 2023 15.20 by PrincessDi

I was initially on Enbrel for 5 years year then had to change to Humira due to an insurance issue, I live in the US. These biologics are the only thing that cleared my psoriasis that I've had since the age of 16 and I'm 51 now. One mistake I made was instead of using Humira as directed injecting every 2 weeks I thought I could push the envelope to every 3 weeks. For a year and a half all was well but a large spot appeared and it seems like nothing will make it go away, went back to 2 week injections for over a year now and I have all the usual topicals but it refuses to leave. When you're at a young age and have this horrible disease it's hard for other "teens" to understand and they can be very cruel, cause really you feel freak like. If he can get on a biologic then by all means get him on it, I had no adverse reactions to either one and if my GP hadn't been so afraid of biologics I would've suffered less. There's a lot of stress when you're young and having this disease really puts the pressure on you. They say stress is a major trigger.

To take part, sign in or register with us