Methotrexate and hair loss

Posted Mon 26 Jun 2023 15.19 by ScienceMum

Hi All, hope you are well! I am currently on cyclosporin, but the dermatologist wants me to try Methotrexate as my scalp psoriasis is stubbornly staying put. However, I am terrified of losing my hair. I lost quite a lot after the birth of my son, and also had another shedding episode more recently. Obviously this is all the more harrowing because it exposes my scalp which is covered in plaques. I know this is telogen effluvium, which is a different mechanism to what would be caused by taking methotrexate. But I’m just so scared of it happening either way. So my question is: have you experienced hair loss with the drug? How did it happen - was it a big shedding event with more hair in the shower, or did you notice it because your hair appeared thinner? How long after you started taking it did you notice hair loss? How long did the hair loss last and did it stop quickly after stopping the drug? Thank you so much!

Posted Mon 26 Jun 2023 19.01 by Tracyjane

Hi, The worry is real 😢 my 15 year old was put on cyclosporine you can only stay on it for around a year maximum. Is this why you’re swapping over. He is on methrotrexate now & I was worried sick about his hair falling out but he hasn’t had any side affects at all it’s just not working so he’s going into biologics. Are you hoping to go onto biologics or not. He takes folic acid on all the days excerpt methrotrexate day this is supposed to combat side effects. My friend is also taking methrotrexate for quite a long time & no hair loss x

Posted Tue 27 Jun 2023 21.20 by Tobysgranny

My dermatologist also wants me to go on methotrexate and I have just had bloods taken and a chest x-Ray done. I am currently on 20mg of Acetretin (I was previously on a higher dose but I was losing my hair) but it clearly is not working and I don’t want to go back to the higher dose. The only thing that has worked in the past is light treatment when my psoriasis clears up completely but returns within weeks. I am hoping the methotrexate will help as I am getting thoroughly fed up constantly itching all the time. Joan

Posted Wed 28 Jun 2023 07.00 by Tracyjane

Hi Joan it’s worth a try. I know the side effects don’t Sound good but everything has side effects & I think that they are quite quick at picking them up as long as you have your blood tests regularly. I have read that some people havd been on it years unlike cyclosporine where it’s only a year you can take it. I was really worried as my son is only 15, certain side effects such as no drinking & possible birth defects worried me as he’s coming up to the age when he’ll be doing these things. He’s going into biologics next & im just as worried about that 😢 Best of luck to you x

Posted Wed 28 Jun 2023 11.46 by Tobysgranny

Thank you Tracyjane.

To take part, sign in or register with us