Acitretin and guttate flare

Posted Sun 3 Sep 2023 13.13 by mt382

Has this happened to anyone in the first months of taking acitretin? My plaques are thinning nicely on the drug but I'm just getting guttate eruption all over my trunk which I've never had before. I'm sort of hoping it's the "storm before the calm" and that it will resolve if I keep taking it, but has anyone else experienced this?

Posted Sun 3 Sep 2023 15.13 by Alex N

I took Acitretin for severe palmar plantar psoriasis a few years ago. It worked a treat on the plaques on my feet (which resulted in excruciating splits and made it almost impossible to walk). I did have side effects, but not what you describe. Mostly very dry, flaky skin (on body and lips and in my nose in particular), and thinning hair. It also affected my stomach and gave me headaches initially, though those symptoms settled down as my body adjusted to it. Was definitely worth it for me - my Consultant tapered the dose down gradually, and I stopped taking it altogether 10 months later. Haven’t had a flare-up since, thankfully. The symptoms you mention may settle down, or if it’s worked well on the plaques, you might be able to reduce the dose which might help.

Posted Sun 3 Sep 2023 16.32 by mt382

Thanks. I have a theory that this guttate eruption is previous sun damage from my home uvb therapy. I've stopped that and started acitretin so I'm hoping I can ride this out and improve. I know it's not the most effective of drugs, though, and the headaches are proving troublesome. Sadly, I saw the dermo privately and was given acitretin on the NHS. However, I've yet to have an NHS consultation due to the waiting lists were all enduring, and I'm basically doing four months of this in the hope that I can then move on to humira.

Posted Tue 5 Sep 2023 15.33 by mt382

Christ - I shaved my chest and stomach to see the real extent of the guttate and my trunk (which has never before been effected) is absolutely covered! I'm absolutely heart broken. I still have 2 months of the acitretin trial (I don't really want to terminate it before that incase my dermo doesn't "count" the attempt and moves me to metho or cyclo before biologics)

To take part, sign in or register with us