General pustular psoriasis

Posted Wed 27 Jul 2016 09.59 by Ballymoney

I am 69 and out of the blue I had a mark on my chest which wouldn't go away. Visited GP and gave me steroid which cleared it. A month later I had two very red patches with skin coming off. GP gave more steroid. Two months later this started all over my body so had biopsy. No diagnosis. Another biopsy wrong diagnosis. It got so bad my GP wouldn't do anything so sent me to hospital. As this was at Christmas no dermatologist on duty. The consultant came to see me the next morning and thought I had fallen into a bath of boiling water. He eventually got me to see s dermatologist in the RVH. He took one look and told me I had General Pustular Psoriasis. Extremely rare, serious severe disease. I was admitted for 3 weeks as my legs and feet badly swollen and fluid leaking. Cellulitis. Was put on Acitretin 35mg and body covered in paraffin and betnovate alternatively daily. Horrific experience. I lay at home for months taking the tablets and using steroid creams which helped. Nine months into the Acitretin my liver function went up to 450 so had to come off it. Eventually my dermatologist put me on a daily injection of Anakinta and it worked a treat for a year. Now back to square one. Does anyone have this disease and what, if anything, works for them. Sorry for the length of this but I feel so ill. Had been out dancing every week before I took this and now more or less housebound apart from hospital visits.

To take part, sign in or register with us