Best place to buy Dovonex?

Posted Tue 21 Nov 2023 20.57 by psore

I notice it isn't mentioned much on this forum via search but it appears to be available to buy online without prescription or am I about to fall prey to a scam? Is there a recommended place of purchase? And are people using it on sensitive areas despite the warnings not to? Thanks.

Posted Tue 21 Nov 2023 23.40 by SM2023 (edited Tue 21 Nov 2023 23.44 by SM2023)

Hello, A few years ago, the government ruled that Dovonex could be bought without prescription. However, as I understand the situation, the company that makes it said that they wouldn't be making it available to buy over the counter (they did give reasons but I don't remember them.) The online companies that sell Dovonex actually require you to fill in a questionnaire, which they assess and then issue you with a private prescription and then sell you the Dovonex. (If the company doesn't go through this process, then it may well be a scam.) I've used Dovonex since diagnosed, some 20+ years ago, but have always obtained it via the usual route of GP prescription. Also, I have never used it in places I shouldn't, although I've had no need to. I would advise that it's best to heed the warnings and use as directed.

Posted Wed 6 Dec 2023 12.17 by RosyPosy

I was prescribed ointment by my GP for genital psoriasis which had been diagnosed by my Carer., without the GP even visiting me to take a look and check. So for months I used the ointment (I have an idea it was calcipotriol?) but getting nowhere I joined the Psoriasis society and found that it should NEVER be used on sensitive areas. I was advised to ask for Curatoderm, which I used for a few months. The GP made a home visit (I am 91 and housebound disabled) and said yes it was psoriasis on my scalp and toes. But the genital area was a fungal infection and she gave me Lotriderm cream which she said should clear it by the end of two weeks. That was 20 days ago.. Still without coming to see it she has now said it must be psoriasis after all and prescribed Dovonex, which on researching it I find is Calcipotriol!! Again.! Which must never be used on the genital area. So I am back at square one.qgain. Has anyone experienced something similar or can make any suggestions please, it would be much appreciated.

Posted Thu 7 Dec 2023 15.30 by psorbet

I thought mine might be fungal too but it improves in the summer - wouldn't a fungal infection get worse at that time? I managed to find a GP to prescribe Dovonex without seeing me. Intended use is anogenital. The previous tube of 60g lasted me 15 years and although I've never used it in sensitive areas before, it surely can't be any worse than wiping faeces in to open wounds? I've tried Sudocrem, Savlon and Germolene to aid healing which do help but don't deal with the cause. I wear shorts year round to increase airflow. My skin remains sore and weeping so I'm giving the Dovonex a try down there. By far the best treatment I've found yet, which is sadly not currently available and socially unacceptable when it is, is sitting naked for twenty minutes in midday sunshine.

Posted Tue 12 Dec 2023 08.34 by OhNo_NotAgain?

I used Trimovate on a fungal/psoriasis issue in my groin. It worked a treat, and was the only thing that did. Once clear I use a medicated anti-fungal powder on the area after drying thoroughly after a shower.,

Posted Thu 14 Dec 2023 13.39 by psorbet

Trimovate is a steroid. I'd like to avoid them for as long as possible.

Posted Thu 14 Dec 2023 19.37 by OhNo_NotAgain?

my "rash" (In my groin) responded to a certain extent to a topical anti-fungal, but would not clear up. I had tried a steroid (Elocon) but it returned extremely quickly, Trimovate (* steroid + anti-fungal + anti-biotic) was the only thing to clear it completely, The steroid is described as "moderately potent" and I found that the rash responded after the first day. After 4 or 5 years of constant recurrance, I have now been free of this for nearly 2 years.

To take part, sign in or register with us