Biologics and radiotherapy

Posted Fri 8 Dec 2023 00.47 by JillB

I am hoping for some information regarding use of the psoriasis biologic Cosentyx when receiving radiotherapy for lung tumour. I have used monthly Cosentyx injections for 4 years which cleared my psoriasis completely. Then January 2023 a small cluster of lung nodules were seen on a chest CTscan . By July they had grown and lit up on a PET scan. A biopsy or surgery was not possible owing to proximity to the heart and other factors ( I am 77 yrs old and not fit) but after advice from oncologists at the Royal Marsden and Nottingham I have begun 20 sessions of daily radiotherapy since they seem agreed that this is an early contained lung cancer. However, my dermatologist stopped my Cosentyx in July since using a biologic immuno suppressant while treating a possible cancer could cause problems. But my psoriasis is back with a vengeance , plaques appearing all over me. I am desperate to get back on my biologic once radiotherapy is complete . Does anyone have any experience of this please?

Posted Fri 8 Dec 2023 07.12 by mt382

I'm sorry. No experience, but just wanted to give my best wishes. Psoriasis coming back really is the icing on the cake of rubbish things going on for you, isn't it? My thoughts are with you. Please let us know how if goes. I know that there is generally caution with any immunosuppressant and cancer risk, as, in general, the immune system has an important role in destroying potential tumours before they become full cancer. So while that's their reasoning, I don't know whether they'll resume after radiotherapy.

To take part, sign in or register with us