Moisturising strategy

Posted Mon 1 Jan 2024 20.08 by kiloran
From Lichen Planus to Plaque Psoriasis to Palmoplantar and Nail psoriasis - newly diagnosed 2023

Wondering if people change moisturiser based on how their skin changes as part of the flare cycle? Currently I'm using Epimax ointment which is doing wonders but it's quite messy and sticky. I'm thinking of stepping back down to Cetraben which is a bit lighter or perhaps even a thin colloidal oatmeal prep. Also wondering if changing moisturiser is good for the skin, so it doesn't get used to one type. Part of me wonders whether I'm a bit sensitive to the high paraffin ones like Epimax because it's led to very rapid changes (positive changes, but I'm always wary whether they'll last!) It seems to me the best solution is to encourage the skin to moisturise itself naturally rather than slapping ointment on it all the time!

Posted Mon 1 Jan 2024 20.20 by Aaike
Have palmoplanter psoriasis

I have tried various brands for my hand and foot psoriasis. I have found the Body Shop hemp range to be really good as it is moisture rich for very dry skin.

Posted Mon 1 Jan 2024 21.30 by SheilaM

I use these as well find them really good

Posted Tue 2 Jan 2024 14.45 by kiloran
From Lichen Planus to Plaque Psoriasis to Palmoplantar and Nail psoriasis - newly diagnosed 2023

Thanks both I'll look at those. I patch-tested the Epimax oatmeal moisturizer last night, my skin was not happy with it - one forearm very dry as a result with almost eczema like reaction! Liberal application of Cetraben has sorted it out.

Posted Fri 19 Jan 2024 19.31 by Yacht

Moisturising just wets the skin for a few hours. It doesn't cure or treat psoriasis.

Posted Sat 20 Jan 2024 02.49 by windowstoweb

I use Calcipotriol Ointment, the derivative of vitamin d, is something better than that?

Posted Sat 20 Jan 2024 09.32 by bargainlovingmum

Thanks for the Body Shop Hemp range tips. I'm now trying the foot cream on my psoriasis leg patches and finding it is a nice moisturiser for that area.

Posted Sat 20 Jan 2024 11.39 by Rap

Slightly off piste but can I use Epimax and Enstilar spray together and if so which should go on the skin first?

Posted Sat 20 Jan 2024 13.23 by Acrazydoglady

it's strange I try & vary them (cetraben, aproderm & double base), purely because sometimes they don't feel as moisturising as they were, which is my only reason why. As I used to wrap my legs in clingfilm overnight, as due suffering insomnia it used to help with the midnight itching hour. In the summer, obviously clingfilm isn't great in heat, so I add a few drops of seabuckthorn oil to my moisturiser at night - I only do this at night as the oil stains everything orange until you wash it off, but I've found it extra moisturising, and I sometimes even just apply the oil at night wearing gloves, ie one drop can cover your whole face. Great news about your epimax!

To take part, sign in or register with us