Psoriasis Itching so bad I can't sleep. Here's everything I do

Posted Sun 12 May 2024 12.03 by Mika10

Hello, it's 6:30 am after being unable to fall asleep again. I just joined after googling this and finding the page I'm 22 had psoriasis since birth, always used lotions and the such. Unfortunately the past year and half have been one of the worst for me in terms of how bad it's gotten. And started light therapy (UVB NB) around February after my new derm said it would be better I stopped using/significantly reduced my usage of clobetasol after telling her I've been using it pretty much everywhere every night for the past 2 years (usual clobetasol prescription formula, 0.1% clobetasol, 2% salicylic acid) After starting light therapy it actually got significantly worse and though I very rarely ever get spots on my torso it grew there too, by the 20th light therapy session it started calming down (I'm in the 24/29 sessions rn) but the itchiness has just been getting a little crazy For reference my usual routine tends to be hot showers at night dry up, wait a bit for skin to dry a bit more then apply urea lotion body wide as I got it in my whole body, then wait a bit for that to dry up and at that point I'd use clobetasol, except I don't use it anymore. I always try to have hot showers for a bit longer as I always felt like after hot water hits my skin feels more prone to absorb the lotion better or it helps with tightness when I apply the lotion. Tried changing the bedsheets, changing my clothes, nothing. If anything 90% of the itchiness comes from my torso, only rarely getting some on my upper thighs and arms There's also other details such as being unable to move for about 4 hours after light therapy which lasts for about 5 hours, as well as body recovering takes about 2 days for it to stop being tight and constricting, which isn't the greatest as the sessions are monday-wednesday-friday so I haven't gone to the gym in about 2 months which sucks as I've never missed a day since 2021 On that note, my diet is pretty void of a lot of nutrients which may be contributing negatively, on average my diet is 3 eggs, a Patty for breakfast , chicken breast and white rice dinner, with something in between. I've also noticed that legumes, at least lentils, as well as dairy tends to affect me negatively for some reason too, basically the things that affect my acne also tend to make my psoriasis go up. Tonight I had some pizza with some friends, which had quite a lot of cheese which may have contributed a big part on why I'm unable to fall asleep, though being fair there's been other days where I don't have dairy and it still happens. I'm so tired of having to broom my room 3x every day to get rid of all the flakes and tucking my sleeping shirt in my pants that are tucked into my socks so I don't get any flakes in my bed... I know it's a lot of text but I tried leaving as many details in as I could. I'll appreciate any tips greatly

Posted Sun 12 May 2024 16.32 by Tim

I expressed my thoughts on here before, I have successfully reduced my psoriasis very considerably, I find heat is a serious culprit, hot showers, sunbathing, direct heat aggravate’s the condition without doubt, I have serious concerns about light treatment also, if it’s UV then that will also create flare ups, showers with luke warm water and avoid direct sun light, diet is also a contributing factor, alcohol is a stress maker believe it or not, it can change a personality instantly, it’s certainly not a stress reliever, hidden stresses can definitely create flare ups, you may think you are dealing with life and all it’s problems, but it’s not always the case, I’ve worked on this for years and can now see a positive change in my psoriasis, hope this helps, just my findings it may not work in every case, good luck,

Posted Sun 12 May 2024 18.46 by OhNo_NotAgain?

I was covered head-to-toe in psoriasis in 1980. I went on holdiay and spent 10 days or so swimming in the sea and getting sun (but avoiding burning), it faded dramatically, as predicted by my dermatologist at the time. Over the years I have had some flare ups, that did not seem to coincide with anything in my lifestyle (except perhaps an outbreak of guttate psoriasis very shortly after a total hip replacement). I have also had periods of drinking VERY heavily continuously for months, total abstinence for 6 -9 months then binge drinking, abstinence again, and none had any discernable effect on my psoriasis at all, one way or the other. During my guttate outbreak (which lasted around 8 months in 2018), the itching nearly drove me mad and stopped me sleeping. I used Psoriderm and Exorex Coal Tar lotion morning and evening where I could reach. I found that Aphacade PSO shampoo stopped the scalp itching almost overnight. I used Doublebase Gel and Doublebase dayleve Gel on the areas I could reach, many times a day. It is an excellent emollient. Before bed, I had a lukewarm bath with Oilatum bath oil and Oilatum Plus, in the water. I live alone so nobody was around to apply anything to my back. I used Oilatum on my skin in 1980 also, in the shower . . . . but be careful, it makes the bath or shower VERY slippery. I found that the bath calmed the itching enough that I could fall asleep and often slept for 3-4 hours before waking again itching.

Posted Sun 12 May 2024 19.12 by Mika10

Thanks for the reply, I'll take a look at those, I live in south America so I'll try to see if I can find some equivalent As well as I'll try to make my showers shorter and less hot. About what tim says I sort of agree, I usually try to always have lotion on but the heat just makes life miserable, feels as if it peels off whatever lotion I have on and brings back the tightness making it painful especially for walking when trying to move your heel to your buttocks Light therapy has helped me I think but it's only noticeable in Sundays or after 2+ days of not having it as it does cause a flareup for the day

Posted Thu 16 May 2024 13.45 by N999

Hey. I've had psoriasis for about 15 yrs now. It's gotten worse over the last couple of yrs (although not as bad as yours) and I've had the crazy sleepless nights and daily hoovering too. If it helps these are some things that have helped me. For actually improving the psoriasis - only one thing has ever really worked (like another poster says) - I was on holiday and spent a lot of time in the sea and the sun (about 3 weeks 6/7 years ago). My psoriasis cleared up almost completely then. But back to normal life it was back to normal psoriasis with the usual treatments only partially keeping it in check. In terms of being able to sleep - three things I do/have done to cope are: antihistamines (not that great tbh but helps a little); exercise a lot - I mean when I do a decent amount of exercise (run or whatever) I am exhausted at the end of the evening and I become so tired I sleep and don't notice the itching: distract myself by leaving the TV or radio on in the background (doesn't always work though). I've also had moments of excessive drinking but it really doesn't help. I feel it just perpetuates the psoriasis and adds to the deterioration of your quality of life. It's also an obvious one but I also find investing in moisturising 3 times a day or so is worth it. Even if - like me - you spend ages and ages applying it everywhere.

Posted Sat 18 May 2024 04.21 by Mika10

Maybe I could try to change the moisturizer? I have just perpetually big large red spots on my arms and the clobetasol prescription formula seems to only be a thing for when there's actual plaques I usually use this Isdin urea 10 lotion everyday body wide noticed it gets a little itchy specially after showering and I usually shower at night so it may be contributing to the whole insomnia

Posted Fri 31 May 2024 09.12 by iankerr

I was on holiday in September 2023 wearing shorts and my psoriasis, which I've had for over 55 years, showed very clearly. I chatted with a woman and 2 daughters, both in their 30s, one of whom had psoriasis. She recommended CeraVe moisturising lotion which I purchased on my return and used every day on my legs and arms where I have psoriasis. The result has been amazing - my wife of 48 years says she has never seen my skin look so clear. I purchased this product on Amazon but it's also available in Boots and others. It worked for the person giving the advice and for me so worth a try. I continue to use it daily.

Posted Thu 6 Jun 2024 07.14 by Mr.Itchy

Dear Mika10, Good morning. I suffered with this horrible disease since I was 13, I'm now 57 years old. I tried everything to try and relieve my symptoms, oils, tar baths, UV light, cortisone, ointments galore. I had truly given up and figured I would just die with this affliction. A few weeks ago as luck would have it I met Dr. Catherine Couzian and she told me that she in fact has cremes that can drastically reduce the disease. I was 100% skeptical as I forgot I flew to India to meet a healer which of course just turned into a trip to India. Anyway, you can see my previous post, I have zero affiliation, just trying to Pay it Forward. Please try it and let me know, if it doesn't help I'll buy the cremes from you as I will be using them for the rest of my years. I truly hope this is a solution for you, I still can't believe how beautiful my legs and elbows look now. Sincerely, Mr. Itchy

Posted Thu 6 Jun 2024 08.20 by Mika10

Update, so the itching subsided after that week, I guess it was that I was irritated and I did too many boiling hot showers plus I sort of scratched my body all over to get rid of the dead skin and flakes while wet, I think that's what was the biggest mistake. I even get edema if I do that on my legs so it may have been partially an infection Regardless, the light therapy ended 2 weeks ago, I've seen mild results, it's definitely nice that now I'm not using that clobetasol every single day, there's barely anything in my shoulders and my torso and legs, unfortunately the part I care most about and I'm most self conscious about, my hands and forearms, still haven't shown any signs that they will get better. Pain is mostly gone, that light therapy process was absolute torture and I'm lucky I got to be a neet basically during that period as I wouldn't have been able to work or go to college. Only thing I've seen lately is an increase on my face acne, despite me avoiding dairy which usually gives me flare-ups. I'll see about that CeraVe one. Though I'm a bit unsure as urea is quite the potent moisturizer and I wonder if now I'm a bit dependant on it as I was with clobetasol those months before the light therapy. I guess the only takeaway is that I shouldn't have just gone cold turkey on the clobetasol and stop using it completely after using it every single day body wide for the past 2 years, and instead should've slowed into it. Overall, light therapy 2 weeks and a half out, has been mild but there is some progress, there is still some around my lumbar area which sucks, and around shins. But of course what bothers me most is my forearms and especially my hands as I'm quite self conscious about them. As well I wonder why I've gotten acne flare-ups in my face, if I had to guess it's because I did absolute zero exfoliating the past month because I assumed light therapy would be detrimental to a freshly exfoliated face. Overall, itchiness gone. Progress is alright. Wish it was more though

To take part, sign in or register with us