Scalp solution on body? (Calciprotrol / Betnovate)

Posted Thu 16 May 2024 13.52 by N999

Quick question - has anyone tried calciprotrol/Betnovate scalp solution on their body (i.e. elbows, legs, etc) and did it have an effect? I've been doing so recently as it's quicker and easier than spending ages applying the cream but it doesn't seem to work very well. I imagine it doesn't work in the same way but thought I'd ask if anyone had tried. Thanks

Posted Fri 24 May 2024 17.18 by Hernehillbilly

Yes, I use DiproSalic scalp application on my arms and legs and find it is easier to apply and works better than creams/ointments for me. The active steroid ingredients are no different from those in creams/ointments and my dermatologist was happy to prescribe it. However, I think its usefulness may depend on the kind of psoriasis you have. Mine is is lots of small, quite superficial patches, apart from on my scalp where the lesions are much thicker. Bizarrely, the scalp application doesn’t work well at all there; it just dries out my scalp and makes it irritable.

Posted Thu 4 Jul 2024 15.30 by megnani

It seems like you might be asking about using scalp treatments like Calcipotriol (Calciprotrol) or Betamethasone (Betnovate) on other parts of the body. Both Calcipotriol and Betamethasone are commonly used to treat scalp conditions like psoriasis. Using them on other parts of the body would generally depend on your doctor's advice and the specific condition being treated. However, here are some considerations: 1. **Calcipotriol (Calciprotrol)**: This is a form of synthetic vitamin D3 that helps to slow down the excessive production of skin cells, typical in conditions like psoriasis. It's usually safe for use on other parts of the body where there's psoriasis, but the concentration and frequency of application may vary. Always follow your doctor's instructions. 2. **Betamethasone (Betnovate)**: This is a corticosteroid used to reduce inflammation and itching associated with various skin conditions, including psoriasis. It can be used on other parts of the body where prescribed by a doctor, but prolonged use should be monitored due to potential side effects such as skin thinning. If you're considering using these treatments on areas other than the scalp, it's important to consult with a healthcare professional, preferably a dermatologist. They can provide guidance on proper application, potential side effects, and whether these treatments are suitable for your specific condition.

Posted Fri 5 Jul 2024 17.15 by OhNo_NotAgain? (edited Thu 11 Jul 2024 08.10 by OhNo_NotAgain?)

@hernehillbilly: as you have said, the active ingredients are used in other preparations. Diprosalic contains Betamethazone and Salicylic acid. Salicylic acid is a well established treat ment for psoriasis all over the body and is included in several other preparations. Betnovate has been used on the body since at least 1969/70, from my own experience. Calcipotriol itself was available as Dovonex and applied to the body. Dovobet contains both Betamethazone and calcipotriol, but not salicylic acid. If what you are using works well for you and is easy to apply, and your dermatologist is in agreement for them to be used like that, then I do not see any problem.

Posted Mon 8 Jul 2024 21.23 by Seanie

As a parallel solution, it's also a good idea to use a humidifier in your home to keep the air moist. This can help prevent your skin from drying out and potentially reduce flare-ups. If you think creams are cumbersome, you could use foam or spray formulations of your medication. These can be quicker and easier to apply, especially over larger areas of your body

To take part, sign in or register with us