Psoriasis Cuts on Hands

Posted Sun 30 Oct 2016 21.15 by Summerefranklin

I'm wondering if anyone has any recommendations for psoriasis on hands? I've had it on my ankle since I was 7 (now 21) and it's now on my hands which is very irratating and can be quite painful. I've got a massive cut on my thumb from it - very deep like an open wound. I've been prescribed the steroid gel from my doctor but it doesn't seem to be helping / he has told me not to plaster it but it's hard having an open wound on my hand! Any advice would be extremely helpful - can't seem to treat it with the same creams as I do my ankle. I've only just registered with the psoriasis association so apologies if this has been discussed before. Thanks in advance :)

Posted Mon 31 Oct 2016 18.30 by Peter W
Plaque psoriasis (on and off) since mid 1970s

Hi, Ouch. That doesn't sound nice. I have psoriasis on my hands for the first time, and it gets very sore, and sometimes cracks, but no large wound. Keeping the wound open (and clean!) sounds like good advice to me, but I'm not a doctor! Hope it gets better soon.

Posted Thu 3 Nov 2016 18.07 by Lynnbosley
Hi my name is Lynn, I am 58 years old a wife, mother and grandmother, I work with children and love life to the full.

Hi there, I'm new to the group, I also have hand psoriasis and now it's on the soles of my feet, the only way I am able to control my own pain, swelling and cuts is too try and keep my hand and feet cool, if they get over heated it causes the to itch which is painfull then they start cracking, I don't think there are any creams or magic potions that relieves this terrible condition.

Posted Fri 4 Nov 2016 20.53 by Minerva13
Hello I have severe psoriasis in both my hands. I have seen several consultants who have prescribed cortisone creams etc.

Hi everybody. I am new to these discussions, so hear goes. I have problem with my hands. I have seen Dr/Consutant several times. All though I saw it as a problem to me both professionals treated it as something I have got to live with, offering me the usual steroid ointments I have bought white cotton gloves to relieve the pain but that isn't always the answer. Has anybody other ideas. Love to hear them. 😎👍.

Posted Sat 3 Dec 2016 16.57 by Kaj

Hi, ive suffered with my hands for a few years and found Healan Tape helps. My dr prescribed it for me. It already has a steroid coat on it and helped with the cuts. I keep a roll at work and home just in case.

Posted Tue 6 Dec 2016 16.35 by Launa UK

Hi there I have had psoriasis for around 10 years now. It effects my nails badly and my finger tips also become cracked and very painful. I have recently started applying vitamin A & D ointment and it has made a massive difference. My nails are looking so much better and the cracking on my finger tips has currently disappeared? I have only been applying it a couple of weeks but am really happy at the results. If anyone else tries it I hope you have the same outcome, please let me know? Goodluck ;)

Posted Wed 7 Dec 2016 16.56 by VWAPLady
Retired ex university employee now focused on writing, photography and oil painting.

Hello all. I had what I thought to be psoriasis on the backs of my hands and fingers for many years. It looked and felt like P so I assumed it was P. After all, I had suffered P for over 38 years so I ought to know oughtn't I? However, it turned out I was incorrect, and so might you be. It started innocuously around 1981 with some small spots of 'P' on the backs of my hands. Over the next 30 years it got very much worse until the backs of both hands and parts of my fingers were covered. In late 2002 I spent 6 weeks in hospital (benign brain tumour removal followed 10 days later with two bouts of bacterial meningitis). I was stuffed with antibiotics, which was dreadful but worked so I'm still here thank goodness. Some might argue that the antibiotics helped my P but in fact by the time I was discharged by the hospital only the backs of my hands had cleared up COMPLETELY. The rest of my P was as it had been before my hospitalisation. This led me to wonder what caused this miracle. What had I been doing or not doing in hospital that had helped? I eventually found out by a process of elimination when 'P' started to reappear on my hands that the washing up liquid I was using (advertises as 'kind to hands' and good for making spaceships) was causing a reaction (and looked like P) on my skin. I tried using latex and rubber gloves but they affected my hands too. Eventually I came across PVC gloves which did not affect my hands. When Boots stopped selling them I found some vynl gloves in Lakeland in Milton Keynes, which are magic. No more P on my hands, and they have been clear for over 10 years. The cautionary note here is not to blindly assume anything about new patches of what you think may be P. Get it properly diagnosed. I did not but eventually found my way to a cure for my hands. Before my admission to hospital I always used to wash up without gloves. Now I never put my hands in a bowl of washing up water without gloves. I found out some years later that the manufacturer of this washing up liquid had changed their 'recipe' and included an additive in the 1980's around the time the spots first appeared on the back of my hands. Now, when I wash my clothes in my washing machine I spin, rinse, and spin again to ensure I am not exposed to washing powder/liquid chemicals. It may seem like overkill but better safe than sorry. If you suffer with P on your hands try wearing PVC or vynl gloves consistently. You may be falling foul of your washing up liquid.

Posted Wed 7 Dec 2016 19.20 by Minerva13
Hello I have severe psoriasis in both my hands. I have seen several consultants who have prescribed cortisone creams etc.

Hello everyone, I am knew to the discussions. I developed P in my hands this February. A relative had died at home, so I helped tidy afterwards. The man that died was used to smoking weed. It seemed to much of a coincidence that within days my hands starting flaring up. The Dr said it was contact dermatitis. 4 weeks down the road after using steroid ointment I asked to see specalist. I suffer from Lupus and had looked it up on Internet. Convinced that that was the problem the Consultant refused to say it was Lupus but was "P". I followed the instructions and had to go back 6 weeks later. There was a slight improvement. But 2 weeks later it came back with a vengeance. As others have said, the Doctors/Consultansts do not seem to see this as a great problem!!!!! I have resorted to non-st. Not much better but at least my skin isn't thinning. I tend to put plasters on my fingers. I also wear gloves and finger stools. There is another side to this that I don't think people discuss, the marital side of our relation has suffered. Which doesn't help matters. I would love to hear how others have coped on both accounts. Regards Minerva13

Posted Sat 10 Dec 2016 00.32 by Oatcake

Hi all, I am new to the forum and suffer with psoriasis badly on my hands. I have been using Enstilar foam for the last couple of months but sadly it hasn't had a great effect, i think the trouble being that our hands are such a difficult area to treat. I have found bathing them regularly in dead sea salts does help reduce the itching for a short time and am looking into getting a UVB lamp to see if that helps. My GP prescribed me Healan tape for the fissures i get but I wasn't able to get any due to a manufacturing shortage?. I try to wear gloves as much as possible but also find that if my hands get too warm it makes the itching unbearable, it is so tricky to try and keep the p under control this time of year. I would also love to hear what remedies have helped others with hand psoriasis as it is really getting me down at the moment.

Posted Sat 10 Dec 2016 12.27 by Minerva13

Hello everyone. Please excuse my spelling mistakes on the last comments. Someone mentioned PVC gloves. I looked them up on the Internet and found that ScrewFix sells them, very reasonably. I bought 3 pairs but didn't look at the sizes. They were all size 10. But as they were long, they are just the job. I use them in the toilet and also when showering. Feels strange but at least I am not getting my hands wet. Also I now take the ice pack out of the freezer, and hold it in both hands. I put cotton gloves on 1st in case of freezer burn. I am pleased to say that within a few days my hands were a lot better, so I can only hope that in time they will have calmed down. Minerva13

Posted Sat 10 Dec 2016 13.10 by VWAPLady (edited Sat 10 Dec 2016 13.14 by VWAPLady)
Retired ex university employee now focused on writing, photography and oil painting.

RELIEF FROM ITCHING It took me over fifty years to discover this, but have any of you tried coconut oil for itching? If not, please do try it. I use it regularly and it works quickly, within half an hour. I used to suffer badly before going to bed at night in particular. The relief from itching can last a couple of days, even longer at times. You need to ensure you buy the 100% pure organic oil. If it doesn't say it is 100% organic on the outside of the jar then do not buy it because non-organic oil is a processed oil with additives, which is not usable for P. The 100% pure organic oil is sold in jars and it can cost between GBP7 and GBP12 depending upon where you buy it. The jar will last a long time so is good value. I'd be interested to know if this can be prescribed by the NHS and will look into it and mention it on this website when I know. Unusually, it is not an oil as you normally see oil in bottles like olive oil for instance. It is like a thick white cream in appearance with the texture of creamed coconut but without the flakes. In warm temperatures the oil melts into liquid form but solidifies again as it cools. This does not affect its efficacy. It can be applied to the skin in liquid form. If your hand is warm when you put it inside the jar your hand will feel wet as the oil melts on contact but this is ok. Probably better as it will spread further so you use less. There is no need to refrigerate the oil. It is best kept at room temperature. The oil has a coconut smell but is not sticky upon application. As long as you do not use too much it does not stain, or discolour clothing. It literally disappears into the skin. I find it is best applied after showering. Let the oil be absorbed into the skin before dressing. It does not take long as long as you don't overdo it. Remember that less is more. You can also use the same oil in cooking so if your psoriasis reacts to fats in your diet you might want to think about this. This oil goes a long way, i.e. you would use less than normal wherever you would use butter or oil. I have two jars at home, one in the kitchen and one in the bathroom. I fry eggs in this oil. There is no coconut taste at all, although you can smell coconut in the jar, and when you use it for cooking. I use it instead of butter on my toast and marmalade at breakfast. Note that I am a consumer like you, and I have no involvement (not ever) in the coconut oil industry. I'm just glad that it exists because of its benefit to me. RELATIONSHIPS With regard to Minerva13's comment about relationships, I would say that P is an unknown quantity in relationships, for the most part. In my experience I would say that it all depends upon peoples' awareness and understanding. Strong and loving relationships will last despite one partner having P. My aunt and uncle's marriage is testament to that because my aunt suffered badly but their marriage lasted a lifetime until her death in her 70-odd year. P is hereditory in my family and I am the only member of my family to have it, despite being a fraternal twin. Neither of my two daughters has P. My twin grandchildren show no sign of it as yet. Hopefully never. If someone wants out of a relationship and P develops in a partner this can be used as an excuse because it is unarguable. There is no defense or quick fix. It is a shoddy excuse and I would say that if someone is capable of using such an excuse then it is best to let them go because they are unworthy of you. There are better people around. One of the loveliest things anyone ever said to me when I explained how my skin sheds was, 'You can snow on me anytime.' I was deeply touched. He was very supportive about P. You are not your psoriasis. If it is to affect your character at all, let it make you stronger, as it did me. Best wishes for a great Christmas everone.

Posted Mon 12 Dec 2016 12.04 by Launa UK

With regard to the coconut oil comments I agree that it a fantastic product and have been using it for the past 7 years. I still use it on my scalp and in cookery but have had substantial improvement on my nails, fingertips and feet since trying Vitamin A & D ointment. I do not have anything to do with either industry but would just like to share my experience in the hope that it may help other sufferers. Best wishes Launa

Posted Fri 16 Dec 2016 19.57 by Helen T

Summerefranklin I feel for you as I periodically get cracks which are deep and sore and bleed as I get P on my hands. But I find it strange as I can have it really badly on my hands for a while and then it is gone for ages. I think the P dries up the hands as there is not a lot of flesh there so I don't think the cracks are P but a result of P if you see what I mean. I have dry skin anyway and I hate central heating as it gives me sores up my nose and flaky forehead which I don't believe is P. So I would recommend moisturising your hands as well as using your medication, drinking plenty of water and turning the central heating down. I don't help myself as I kind of have industrial hands - they are always in water and detergents, grease and grim and I don't protect them but I can't bear rubber or latex gloves as I have an allergy to them. You just can't win. P can give you old, horrible looking hands which is all right at my age but for you I'd be slapping on the moisturisers - and no fancy stull full of perfume - have a look at Aveeno or stuff in that sort of line. Hope this helps :-)

Posted Wed 25 Oct 2017 20.59 by Jwigginton1104

I have had psoriasis on my hands for the last 5 or so years. It hurts, it itches, it cracks and bleeds! But I have tried lots of things and found that if I file down the excess skin and use O'Keeffe's Working Hands every morning and night, I can keep my hands almost symptom free! Although when I forget, I'm back to square one! I just want to be able to wash my hands as many times a day as needed without all this pain and itching!

Posted Tue 28 Nov 2017 04.04 by TeresitaRouthe

I have been suffering from psorasis or eczema on my hands for about 4 yrs now. I have been to a medical doctor that prescribed meds that didn't help. I then went to a dermatologist and he also prescribed different meds to no avail. My hands itch till I can't stand it. I have worn gloves to bed...coated them with vaseline. No help at all. My daughter is a nurse and told me to try foderma serum, so I finally saw the commercial and decided to try it...within a week my hands look amazing. My hands were dried cracked with white patches on them and my skin was peeling and had fissures all over my hands. My hands were so sore I could hardly stand it. I am amazed by foderma and use it every day throughout the day.

Posted Wed 10 Jan 2018 19.25 by cbryantc

I had cracked, bleeding fingertips (some patching on scalp) for about a year. When I go on a low carb diet, they magically clear up in about a week. Its happened twice now, and I don't think its a coincidence. Try fasting or a low/no carb diet for a little bit and see if it makes a difference. Its literally the cheapest experiment to try! Actually, it saves you money! I also started using an alpha hydroxy lotion that I like, as it isn't greasy and seems to moisturize well.

Posted Sun 11 Feb 2018 15.00 by Kurts99

Hello, I had psoriasis on my hands and spread to my feet. I tried low sugar/carbs and it cleared up within a couple of weeks. I did something similar to a keto diet, My finger tips would get painful cracks, the palm of my hand would crack, my feet even had cracks. I started to see a dermatologist which I saw no improvement with steroids for 2 years. I would get the itch and scratch it which next day I would have cracks. I would even used sandpaper to remove the thick dry skin. I would carry Band-Aids in my wallet which other parents thought I did that for my kids. The cuts on the finger tips were the worst. I still have one dry patch on my hand where it started, but I have no cracking of the skin and I don't have a itch. I am not sure if it is from not eating sugar or carbs, because I did it for weight loss. I just had the added benefit of my hands and feet clearing up. I am posting this because I spent a lot of time searching for help to clear it up. This was the best thing ever. Any questions let me know.

Posted Mon 12 Feb 2018 10.32 by Jason78

Hey, I'm new here and I have psoriasis on my hands and feet pretty bad. Most of the time I can't walk. I'm an artist and had to stop drawing and painting because of this. I can't work anymore as I use to be a cement finisher and had to stop because of a back injury. It's been really hard on my life with both my kids and wife. I have tried to change my creative format by writing a book or series of books and there are times when I can't even do that. I loved swimming with my kids and can't do much of that anymore. For treatment of my psoriasis, I use amope pedi perfect electronic foot file for smoothing out the scales on my feet and hands where I can manage. (Just be careful not to push too hard as you can go to deep into your skin) I use either coal-tar or yiganerjing on Amazon. The reviews were good so I gave a shot as nothing else was working and my hands are starting to clear up and haven't gotten a large cut on the bottom of my feet for two weeks. Hopefully, that works for some of you.

Posted Tue 13 Feb 2018 18.50 by ClearskinPls
Since 2001, tried uvb and creams

Johnsons baby lotion , its cheap and smells nice, perfect moisturiser.

Posted Tue 13 Feb 2018 18.52 by ClearskinPls
Since 2001, tried uvb and creams

Its the pink stuff not the baby oil

To take part, sign in or register with us