Newly diagnosed

Posted Thu 24 Nov 2016 18.49 by Lmc1808

Hi all, A couple of days ago I was diagnosed with psoriasis at the age of 20. Lots of money spent on different prescriptions for loads of different creams and gels and I'm starting to understand it more. I know things could be worse but I can't help but feel so low about it all, my self esteem feels at a low and I just want to feel back to my normal self. Does anyone have any tips on remedies etc? Thanks L x

Posted Sun 27 Nov 2016 19.27 by ali - 67 from Hampshire
I have Psoriasis and I think psa ,I’m 65now and think have had it about 5 yrs.

Dear L, So have I just had a diagnosis, though much older than you .I'd just written on the PA forum when I read your letter. Be kind to yourself, and treat yourself to therapy with a sympathetic Counsellor, if at all possible. It really helps having someone unrelated to bend your ear to. I know I am biased as I am one, but it really does help. Also, if you can have a massage or your nails done etc, in short whatever helps your well being. I don't know where you live, but some counselling is available without cost, depending where you are etc.

Posted Mon 28 Nov 2016 13.58 by EQ

Hello, I'm currently suffering with my psoriasis after being taken off Methotrexate which is a systemic treatment. When I turned 18 I had a huge outburst and was covered head to toe with plaque and guttate psoriasis. Just like you I struggle very much to come to terms with the condition at 20 and I am so grateful for my boyfriend being so supportive. I never had psoriasis when we first met (only a tiny patch on my elbow) so he never knew what it was. I'm having a bad patch again with my psoriasis flaring over my face, ears and scalp quite severely and it puts my moods down hugely! I find like Ali said having someone to talk to is a great help, although my partner is related in a sense but he is my personal councillor and helps me no end. Completely agree with going and getting your nails done, go shopping and treat yourself as it does give you a pick me up that's needed now and again when the lowness creeps over. Ellie

Posted Tue 29 Nov 2016 13.17 by nicky

Hi, Im also new :) I was diagnosed about a year ago with scalp psoriasis. Back then it was just small patches and it went with coal tart shampoo but 2 months ago it flared up with a vengence. At the minute i am using dovobet gel and exorex cream with tgel psoarasis shampoo. I would say I have lost 30% of my hair and have a couple of small bald patches which is causing me to stress :( My doctor said it will grow back again once the psoarasis is under control but I would love some reassurance from anyone with scalp psoarasis that this is the case. Talking about it definitley helps so im looking forward to chatting to you lovely people and hopefully keeping our chins up. Nicola x

Posted Tue 29 Nov 2016 13.28 by EQ

Hello Nicola, Like you i have scalp psoriasis and my head is completely covered with it stretching to my face, last year I lost a lot of my hair before going on systemic treatment and had bald patches. By September this year my hair was completely grown back but had to come off treatment and am now loosing my hair again. Going to derm on Friday and hoping to start new treatment. As horrible as it is having to feel your scalp bobbly and scabby with loss of hair it will grow back. Ellie

Posted Tue 29 Nov 2016 13.42 by nicky

Hi Ellie, Thanks for the reply, just hearing from another scalp psoarasis sufferer who has lost hair has already caused my stress levels to come down. Good luck for Friday and a new treatment that works :) I havnt seen a dermatologist yet but think that might be the next step if the dovobet dosnt work. Nicola x

Posted Tue 29 Nov 2016 13.58 by EQ

How long have you been using Dovobet for? Unfortunately none of the lotions and potions touch my scalp psoriasis! I have also found that wearing my hair up has helped prevent me scratching and helps me sleep a little more as I cannot get between my hair to scratch as easy which I think helps a tiny bit with the loss of hair too! Ellie

Posted Tue 29 Nov 2016 18.38 by nicky

Ive only been using it since Sunday so got a way to go yet. My GP recomended 4 weeks but is going to call me in 2 weeks to see if its making a difference.

Posted Sat 7 Jan 2017 21.40 by Moreish25
Hi - currently 28 and have suffered from psoriasis for 10 years ... oh the joys !!

Hi all - I also suffer from scalp psoriasis (last 5 years & body for around 10 years) ... it's really helpful reading these comments and knowing I'm not alone in the suffering. Thankfully sebco works quite well in controlling mine as long as I do it 2-3 times a week... my mums pretty amazing and scrapes of the scabs on my scalp after washing my hair ... It got so bad a few years ago I was loosing hair too and had to take time off work to be able to do the sebco treatment every day to get it back under control... Have you tried hair tugs? You grip your hair at the scalp and pull slightly ... it's said to stimulate the folicles and help hair growth ... I get really down every time my psoriasis kicks off but try not too be too down on yourself ... do things to make yourself feel good - see your friends / family, go to the cinemas, have your nails done ... & remember you're not alone !! I wish you all the best with your treatments and hope they work out for you all! Jo

To take part, sign in or register with us