UV Treatment & Work problems

Posted Mon 9 Jan 2017 13.06 by VonTinka

Hey guys, I've has psoriasis since i was around 7. I had light treatment in university and it worked so well they decided to give me a second treatment recently as it started coming back after around 6 years. My trouble is work. They are really getting on my back over my treatment now. Do I have any rights? They want me to make up hours but i've been doing 8AM starts for a while now so I am doing extra hours. (Bare in mind they owe me 2 months wages from a couple of years ago which i havn't seen) I feel like they are on my back all the time, I was really upset and started crying in work. It's almost as if i have to choose my treatment over working for a living. I've been loyal to this company for nearly 5 years but just need this treatment to stop myself flaking over equipment & diminish my low self esteem, stress and anxiety levels. Do I have any rights as it is a chronic condition and growing worse on the side of effecting my joints now which is being investigated for a second time and it has affected all my tonails (had to have one big one removed :( ) and 7 of my fingernails. Thanks for your help guys, i'm really fed up :(

Posted Wed 18 Jan 2017 00.59 by Tony

Hi VonTinka I nearly had the exact same problem when having UVB last year. Fortunately I was able to get my appointments block booked at 7pm and just had a mad dash 3 times a week. I guess this isn't a possibility for you? It's always important when getting treatment like this to tell your dermatologist about things like your work situation, it was only when I talked to mine and explained my situation that a solution was offered. So if you haven't communicated with your doctors/nurses I'd say do that first :) Also do the people that matter at work know about the situation you've found yourself in and how it's making you feel? Surely they knew from the start how long the treatment would take and when your appointments would be? They sound very unfair! At the very least would it not be possible to agree to make up your hours after your treatment period has finished? Both sides would probably benefit from a concrete understanding, it would help you feel confident in your job again and show off your loyalty to the company, so it might be good to try talking to them about how you feel. That's if they are the listening type and you haven't already tried! This is essentially what I did when I had my first UVB treatment while at university years ago, I told them exactly what I had to do for my health and they were able to compromise to accommodate me, though I may have been fortunate in that instance. Legally I'm not sure what the position is sorry, just wanted you to be sure you're definitely not on your own experiencing this kind of problem! All the best, remember you can get another job but not another you

To take part, sign in or register with us