Hi all, new here and need your advice

Posted Thu 2 Mar 2017 19.20 by Lauralou87

I've been to the doctors a few times, first started as little dots on my stomach in September 2016. The doctor told me it was inflamed hair follicles probably where I run and sweat gathers. Then it started on my legs a few weeks later and I recognised it from when I was 15 (14 years ago) and had similar then and was told it was psoriasis. So went back to the doctors. They haven't still confirmed it as psoriasis but gave me some dovobet gel to try and it helped a few of them but as it's steroid gel can only use for 8 weeks. Now it is on my lower legs, upper legs, stomach, back, arms and scalp, even one small patch on my face, just below my eye. In a way I'm lucky because I've seen some photos online and I'm not covered. Still frustrating, itchy at times and makes me self conscious. I have a doctors appointment again next Tuesday and hoping to get referred to a dermatologist. I wanted to be able to show some photos and get your opinion, the ones on my stomach don't really scale over, they're just quite red. The ones on my legs dry out and so does my scalp! Anyway I'm waffling. Hello everyone and help needed :)

Posted Fri 3 Mar 2017 13.01 by Toodlesoodles

Just a case of waiting now until you see a dermatologist. The way you describe your symptoms sound very similar to mine which is very mild psoriasis. Can still be upsetting though. How long have you been using the Dovobet? Use it for the 8 weeks. Most patches will come back a few days after you stop using it but if you are like me then it might make some patches go away permanently. Don't use the Dovobet on your face though. Your dermatologist should be able to prescribe you something to help with the sensitive areas like your face. In the meantime keep the area moisturised. Coconut oil or Cetraban are good choices. You don't wanna use any old moisturiser from the shops as they contain stuff that can aggravate psoriasis. How many patches (roughly) have you got in total and how big are they? You have to have quite a large area of your body covered in psoriasis for it to be considered moderate nevermind severe and if it is only mild then there is only so much a dermatologist can do. I dont imagine they'll refer you for light therapy and certainly biologicals and what not are off the table. Do you get much exercise? Eat healthily? Moderate your intake of alcohol? These are things that are said to ease your symptoms and help you feel better about things.

Posted Fri 3 Mar 2017 17.06 by amani

hai,I had psoriasis about 9years. lately it become more worse.. I try everything but nothing works for me. I feel so frustrated.. I feel so unwanted..

Posted Sat 4 Mar 2017 08.23 by Lauralou87

Thanks toodlesoodles for coming back to me. I was first prescribe dobovet October 2016, use it on and off, like you say it can get rid of them but after stopping use it comes back. Each patch of my psoriasis is small, I would say none bigger than 1cm, most smaller. Not sure if links work on here or not but here are some pics https://goo.gl/photos/ECUhMqsJVPBTFMEu7 I am generally healthy, I run 3-4 times a week, I have to follow quite a healthy strict eating plan because of stomach troubles I've had. So my diet consists of white meat and fish, occasionally red meat (once a month ish), lots of veg, occasional fruit. I don't eat gluten and very rarely eat dairy because of lactose. Weight wise and eating wise I am probably the healthiest I have been ever and it's typical that then you have a skin condition to contradict it all. Maybe I should go back to pizza, burgers and alcohol ;) Sorry to hear that amani- do you see a dermatologist of anyone to try and help? Don't give up, keep fighting it :)

Posted Sat 4 Mar 2017 18.33 by amani

thanks Laura for your concern. I'm stopped seeing the doctor on 2010 after i've realized that it no use and my condition going worsen every day. I try natural treatment. applying virgin coconut oil .on the affected area. Now I only use Vaseline to moisture my dry hard skin and I take sea cucumber gel as my supplements. although it still doesn't have any changes but I still trying to figure out what is the best treatment for me. pray for us..

Posted Sun 5 Mar 2017 22.05 by Johnbeach47

I have been using Penang Nutmeg Oil for 4 weeks now and it has stopped my scalp flaking this might sound a bit stupid to some people but it has worked for me, so I thought I would pass on this information for others to try.

Posted Tue 7 Mar 2017 21.02 by Lauralou87

I will look into this nutmeg oil, thanks for the advice. I had the doctors this morning, he has advised I emailed him some photographs of the psoriasis, he is going to get a dermatologist to have a look. I presume this is because of the 18 week waiting list to see one, I guess I can get a professional opinion on it that way. Also took some bloods, I have been having night sweats since about October/November so not sure if the bloods are for that or for the skin, or both maybe. Always leave a doctors feeling confused, does that happen to anyone else? Anyway I have a catch up appointment on the 21st march.

Posted Wed 8 Mar 2017 10.59 by Roland

If you are having problems getting referred to a Dermatologist then try going private for the first consultation and then ask them to transfer you to NHS. It's worth a try, it worked for me.

To take part, sign in or register with us