Eating Blueberries has cleared up my psoriasis

Posted Tue 6 Aug 2019 01.38 by Objectivité

Hello, I have not tried blueberries but am about to start this week after finding this thread. I will wean myself gradually off methotrexate (which works for me even if it wipes me out on the day following my weekly intake) while progressively adding blueberries. The main reason I am posting today ahead of having tried blueberries is this : I am French but currently live in the UK, and my psoriasis started in the UK. The UK and US medical community is usually very to extremely skeptical about homeopathic treatments and prefers medicines to anything else. The NHS website is sometimes stunning, using words such as "You should treat such foods/treatments with scepticism", etc... In France we have a completely different outlook, believing strongly that what we eat has a great potential for helping various ailments, and most doctors prescribe traditional medicines or food/homeopathic medicines as appropriate. So after discovering this forum this evening after deciding to OWN my illness, `100% coverage psoriasis, and research it, I did a simple search about blueberry and psoriasis on Google France and the result were incredible : it is almost a given in France that anyone who has psoriasis should try blueberries - I wish I had done that search earlier. So the point of my post is to help those who are coming, like me, onto this forum for the first time. It is not just on this forum that Blueberry has helped many, it is also a widely held mainstream belief in France. You can try French Google by going to https://www.google.fr and then, to guarantee getting French results, you will need to go to the bottom right of the Google page and choose Settings \ Search Settings and change the region to France and the language to French. Then do a search for "Myrtilles et Psoriasis" and then use Google Translate to translate the pages you find. Hope this helps. Michel.

Posted Tue 6 Aug 2019 08.30 by Eatmorechocolate

Many thanks. I had a friend who moved here to the UK from Spain. He had no skin problems there ( although his mother did and he had 2 brothers living with coeliac disease ) After 6/12 here he developed psoriatic skin lesions. .

Posted Fri 9 Aug 2019 01.03 by Leigh

If the antioxidants aren't working (blueberries), or stopped working, think about whether you gained weight (not from berries, of course). There is a connection between psoriasis flares and gaining fat. But I don't want to get off the topic here, just offering perhaps a reason that the berry regimen could be occluded.

Posted Sun 11 Aug 2019 13.49 by Tjack (edited Sun 11 Aug 2019 13.52 by Tjack)

Hi guys here's a link to a French site as suggested by Objectivité. You will need to copy and paste into browser and if using Google it allows you to translate to English automatically. There is a small section about treating psoriasis but it's a pretty informative article. Cool stuff. http://www.passion-myrtille.com/les-bienfaits-de-la-myrtille/

Posted Tue 3 Sep 2019 15.37 by Frenchman49
49 years old, pso since 2011

Anyone left? Or has every body got rid of pso with the magical berries and forgotten about the thread? It seems that it works for about 70% of psoriasis sufferers. But for me it worked at the begining, after 8 weeks my skin was almost normal, and the psoriasis came back a few weeks later. During this period I had problems and experienced bad emotions (anger, fear), but I didn't change my diet. So I finally stopped blueberries. I have the impression that blueberries can be the instrument that will help you get out of the vicious circle, but that you need to treat the other triggers such as psychological/emotional issues at the same time. Perhaps those who healed completely thanks to blueberries had already sorted the original cause and just needed to reset the machine...? It is only a point of view. I have decided to tackle both aspects. Good luck to you all. Kris I

Posted Tue 3 Sep 2019 16.08 by Objectivité

Replying to Kris. Following up from my first post of a month ago : I have reduced my Methotrexate from 11 x 2.5mg pills once a week (had life changing psoriasis - 100% aggressive coverage giving me sepsis twice, lost two thirds of my hair, threatening my job, hospital nurses saying they'd never seen anything like it, etc..., until high dosage of Methotrexate controlled it completely) to 4 pills per week, and am eating Blueberries twice a day, 11 at breakfast, 11 at dinner. Normally when I have had to reduce Methotrexate, typically to take an antibiotic for some other temporary condition, etc.., within 2 weeks I start experiencing lesions around my body, and I have never before reduced Methotrexate lower than 6 or 7 pills. The doctors had even said that psoriasis on me is so bad I would have to be on Methotrexate for Life. Well, one month of Blueberries + this new low dose of Methotrexate and I have not a single lesion that has appeared. What is even more interesting FOR ME is that I have also stopped having Koebner responses, which is another incredible positive. The last most obvious positive is that I am getting my Saturdays back - Methotrexate, at the levels I was taking them, used to wipe out my entire Saturday after taking it on Friday nights, I now have my Saturdays back ! I will see how the next month develops and reduce the Methotrexate even further, and will report back for the benefit of all. It is too early to say "I have won the war", but the signs of this last month are astonishing FOR ME (it may not work for others). An interesting article I have read in the last month : https://helloskin.co.uk/blogs/news/blueberries-and-psoriasis Michel

Posted Tue 3 Sep 2019 17.01 by NotHavingIt

Whatever I had went away eating blueberries and a combination of blueberries, blackberries, and raspberries after reading this thread. I had 2 doctors previously say I had palmar plantar psoriasis and two others say it was eczema. The steroid creams and ointments seemed to make it worse. I refused to take the methotrexate and biologics they wanted to prescribe. I removed all of the dead skin on my feet against their advise and started applying Vaseline with cocoa butter and wear Feetures athletic socks. I found cotton socks wick away too much moisture. When I had foot cracks I used Neosporin ointment plus pain relief. I started with a bowl of berries a day, then later started eating them a few times a week. When my feet and hands cleared. Thinking whether they helped or not they are healthy. I never did the 20, it seemed too specific. I recommend giving them a try, nothing I did worked for years, until I found this information on the internet. Everyone is different, but it’s worth a try. I buy frozen berries from Costco I randomly alternate all blueberries or the triple berries.

Posted Tue 3 Sep 2019 17.47 by NotHavingIt

Is there anyway to see new posts at the top of this thread instead of scrolling through all of the previous comments every time you want to read new posts.

Posted Tue 17 Sep 2019 13.41 by Frenchman49

What type of blueberries? I ask this question because I've read that like many fragile fruits they are often packed with pesticides of all sorts and these chemical products may well interfere and lessen the effect. I bought non organic frozen blueberries and had som every day from mid-january till the end of march. It worked quite well but then my pso gradually came back (too much stress). Three weeks ago I decided to start again and this time I eat about 60 grams of organic frozen wild blueberries every day three hours after lunch and two hours before dinner (Warren gave this advice). After two weeks it was terrible, I had new plaques and it was very flaky, I even had cuts behind my ears. Then it calmed down a bit. Now it is clearly fading. I'm not pro organic, I just want to try anything to cure my body and get back the normal skin I dream of... I'll le't you know how it goes... Good luck to every one. Kris I'll report again

Posted Tue 1 Oct 2019 20.30 by warren1
widespread psoriasis for 30years

It is now over a year and it has been the best year in relation to my psoriasis in 40years. The odd flare up. But not the way it used to be. Kris .. in your last post you said your skin was fading . Did that continue. Someone on up this thread mentioned a skin crises before it started to go. I am woundering if it happened with you. Warren

Posted Wed 2 Oct 2019 10.11 by Frenchman49

Thank you Warren. I'm sincerely happy for you, after so many years it must be bliss. I've been taking BB for 5 weeks now, and I still have spots and plaques on my legs, arms and toso. It is fading in some places but extremely slowly. Last week I came across Hannah Sillitoe's blog, maybe you know her? She cured her skin by changing her diet. So I've decided that for me the BB are not enough, I need to have a less inflamatory diet. I've changed my breakfast: no bread, jam and coffe anymore, I eat fruit and nuts. I drink 2l of water every day. I limit grains and dairy. My skin seems a bit softer. I hope it will get better and better.

Posted Wed 2 Oct 2019 11.21 by Objectivité

Warren and Frenchman45, an update from me. Recap : Psoriasis since 2008, 100% coverage, lost all my hair, nearly died from it through sepsis as my skin was so thin and getting infected all the time. Had to go on Methotrexate 27.5mg weekly. From time to time in the last 11 years I have had to stop Methotrexate for operations, or to be able to take a particular temporary medicines. The aftermath of coming off Methotrexate was horrendous every single time : lesions would come everywhere, all over my body and it would take two months of being back on Methotrexate to start recovering. Fast forward : after discovering this thread two or three months ago, I progressively decreased Methotrexate while eating Blueberries (big ones, 12 at breakfast, 12 for desert in the evening). Finally stopped Methotrexate completely 4 weeks ago. It is nothing short of a miracle, and I still can't believe it. I have no Psoriasis anywhere on my body except for 1 exception that I will come to in a second. This has never happened before. If I stopped Methotrexate in the past within 10 days I would start having lesions on my front, on my arms, on my back, on my legs, in my private areas. But zilch so far. The one exception is my nose and scalp. The scalp got really bad within two weeks of stopping Methotrexate but I did not get worried because in the past Psoriasis on my scalp was really the absolute least of my problems. Through a lot of reading and analyzing what seems to work for me, I have resolved my scalp Psoriasis as follows : I spent a fortune on Argan this, Aloe that, Coconut Oil this, etc..., only to find that, in the end, what works for me is : 1) Garnier Ultimate Blends shampoo - Oat Milk Sensitive scalp. I chose that one based on the reviews, but I think all the Garnier Ultimate Blend will work. My reasoning : they are made for women and are as a result very gentle given that they have to take into account the fact that many women die their hair and consequently have [slightly/moderately/very] damaged/sensitive hair and scalp, and no brand of women beauty products can afford to get it wrong. I buy them as packs of 6 bottles on Amazon. 2) Wash my hair every 2 days. I eventually worked out that my scalp Psoriasis flares up really badly if my scalp has more than 1 day's normal sweat and dead skin on it, so, for me, it is important to wash my hair every 2 days, something I could not do with any of the Neutrogena shampoos because they left my hair really dry, but the Garnier one does not. 3) Use the matching conditioner. Reason : some of my scalp psoriasis is, I have worked out, from the Koebner effect of combing my hair. The conditioner (something I never before used to use) makes my hair easier to comb and so reduces the Koebner effect. 4) Treat the Psoriasis scale bumps ("mountains" even) with Dermalex Repair and Restore. Dermalex have a Psoriasis specific cream but I did not buy that one as the reviews on Amazon were mostly negative - I bought the Repair and Restore version which had eulogious reviews and it has done wonders (until I worked out all the above I used to use Diprosalic or the Dermovate scalp lotion - all steroids). After using it for 2 days the massive scales of my post-stopping-Methotrexate scalp psoriasis came off by themselves and my scalp started to heal. I use the Dermalex immediately after washing my hair. So, that's my story. BLUEBERRIES work for me and I still can't believe it. I was 11 years on Methotrexate and yet finding this page solved it. Incidentally, I had a little bit of Psoriasis on a finger knuckle yesterday. I would normally use Dermovate on it and it would take 4 or 5 days to clear : I used Dermalex Repair and Restore on it instead (just thought I'd try) and it not only calmed it instantly, but I only had to use it once and this morning it is just a "memory", no more. Lastly, with regards to Frenchman54's comment about his breakfast : despite being French myself too, I have never had the traditional French breakfast mentioned in his post, I eat fruit or muesli for breakfast. I have NOT changed my diet one bit except, of course, for the BLUEBERRIES. I have never drunk much (2 or 3 times a month only). I walk on my way to work (2km each way) and I swim 3 times a week. I hope this helps someone. Michel

Posted Wed 2 Oct 2019 11.30 by susanleannep

Update from me - started blueberries in June pre-holiday. P for over 25 years. In June I had a massive flare up covering all my shoulders and my lower back. Also on scalp, elbows and patches on legs. I also follow Hannah Sillitoe (loosely now) since Boxing Day 2018, but I had no real progress until blueberries were introduced. Today my back and shoulders are 100% clear which is nothing short of a miracle. The largest patch on my elbow which has been there for about 25 years is reduced by about 70% (healing from the inside out - I have a ring of P still around the outside). I generally follow a pretty good diet these days... No gluten, vegan, low sugar but I really believe it is the Blueberries that have had the biggest impact. I do have the odd cake and glass of wine, but keeping on the berries to see if I can clear the last of the P, Fingers crossed, and thanks so much to this thread :) x

Posted Thu 3 Oct 2019 11.04 by Frenchman49

Objectivité: Donc si je comprends bien tu as guéri en deux mois environ? Susanleannep: Can you tell us how long it took to heal your back and shoulders? I'm getting impatient, it's been five weeks now and there is only very very slow improvement..

Posted Thu 3 Oct 2019 11.08 by susanleannep

Frenchman45: its taken since June... so a solid 5 months. I was the same initially only seeing minor improvements. Then one day it just seemed to have gone!I have white patches on my back and shoulders from the pigmentation loss, but feels pretty smooth. I think this is a marathon rather than a sprint... still a bit to go before I'm totally clear. But not much effort really with the blueberries.

Posted Thu 3 Oct 2019 11.23 by Objectivité

Bonjour Frenman45, Oui - absolument incroyable. Ma guérison n'a pris que 2 mois, exactement. J'ai mis 1 mois à réduire mon dosage de Methotrexate de 11 comprimés à zéro, et ça fait maintenant 1 mois que je suis uniquement sur le régime de myrtilles. Mon médecin ici à Londres n'en revient pas non plus. Et je n'arrive toujours pas à digérer le fait que j'ai passé 11 ans à utiliser le Methotrexate alors que j'aurais probablement pu ne plus l'utiliser après 2 ans en 2010 ! J'aimerai bien que les scientifiques s'y mettent sérieusement car les témoignages comme le mien et comme d'autres sur cette page sont incontournables. C'est en fait un peu comme la canneberge pour les cystites - ça marche pour un grand nombre de femmes ! Michel

Posted Thu 3 Oct 2019 14.44 by warren1

Susanleanep and Objectivite, Great news, I am really pleased for you both. Its just great to have a good measure of clearance by such a simple method. I have noticed, from this thread, that the psoriasis generally leaves some reminder that the disease is still in the system. So beware. Also, as the new skin replaces the dead layers of psoriasis.. layer by layer, it only stands to reason that when there is evidence the blueberries are working there will eventually come a point when the new skin will be seen and the psoriasis gone. While this may appear to be a sudden change in reality it's really the end of a process. Warren

Posted Thu 3 Oct 2019 15.05 by Objectivité

Hi Warren, Your post : new skin replacing old skin - absolutely ! Personally : I still find it hard to believe it. I have been in a state of permanent shock for the last month, not believing my clean arms, legs, chest, Thanks to just just just Blueberries ! It was easy for me to give it a try because I come from a background of having been diagnosed with BPH at 30. Was prescribed Xatral which made me lose consciousness any time I was laughing - crazily scary ! Stopped taking that very quickly and decided at the time to research how people were treated for it around the world. At the time I found that back home in France some doctors and researchers were trialling Saw Palmetto, and later something even more effective, Pumpkin Seed Extract. That worked for me and cured my BPH so I already had experience of a "food item" curing a very significant medical issue when I came to this website a little over two months ago. I still cannot believe it : Blueberries !

Posted Thu 3 Oct 2019 15.21 by warren1 (edited Fri 4 Oct 2019 09.29 by warren1)

Hi Ojectivite, When I was in hospital many moons ago. There they used Dathranol in Lassers Paste. Over several days this paste burnt through the dead layers of psoriasis until it finally hit skin level then 'hay presto' suddenly new skin appeared. This is the same idea, With blueberries, only from inside out. We must thank Phil who started this thread. Blueberries are a Life Changer for me too Warren

Posted Fri 4 Oct 2019 09.45 by Objectivité

Other beneficial side-effects of eating blueberries (Norwich University + Harvard University study) : https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2019/05/190530101221.htm Michel

To take part, sign in or register with us