New to this

Posted Wed 25 Jun 2014 01.12 by Princess0682
I have recently been diagnosed with acute psoriasis. I'm currently awaiting light therapy, if this doesn't work I've been advised chemo the

Hi all, In the past few months I have been diagnosed with acute guttate psoriasis. I have no family or friends with the condition and I am feeling a little alone with it, scared even. They believe it is stress related after a birth and number of berievements within a very short period and have tried a number of different treatments. Nothing's working and it's getting worse every day to the point were I can't walk properly due to being completely covered on my arms legs and torso. I am a single mother working full time and have been told if the UVB therapy prescribed from tomorrow does not work I could be looking at a chemotherapy course. Has anyone else been through this? I have pretty much kept it to myself apart from family as my face and neck is clear but the hot weather is so much if a discomfort at the moment! Do you have any home therapies or recommendations for relief? Thank you :) x

Posted Fri 4 Jul 2014 17.26 by rodney
on soles of feet and spots all over whole body,

Firstly i would get a second opinion. I tried the UVB treatment and at first it did help but then stopped. I was then offered a one a day tablet called ACITRETIN which has helped calm the psoriasis down. That and small amounts of three creams have helped. There are lots of treatments that can be used before chemotherapy and i would advise you to seek a second opinion or be referred to local hospital skin department. As home remedies go, I was told that an oat bath once or twice a week can help. Put some porridge oats wrapped in a thin piece of cloth and leave in a hot bath. apparently that can help sooth the itching. Hope that helps you out x

Posted Wed 23 Jul 2014 11.07 by saintsfan

Being the only person in the family with it isn't fun. As you've probably realised from this site, that doesn't mean you're alone. Doesn't make it any easier to live with though. Again, baths can help. I find salt baths help keep it calm. Dead Sea salt is good but expensive. Regular salt helps - my local health food store sells it by the 5kg. Don't forget to rinse off afterwards though! Slather on the emollient too - just try and apply it in a downward motion and don't rub vigorously. From your post I take it the hospital means narrow band UVB treatment? It's time consuming but can be good especially with guttate which can take forever to put cream on all those bits. By chemotherapy, do they mean PUVA treatment? If so, I'd be wary. It's very old fashioned and can be problematic long term. The NICE guideline on psoriasis includes it but more as a (very) last resort. I'd be asking the hospital about the guideline and what treatment cycle it recommends. You can find it on line. The main one is hefty but there is a shorter form too. If the UVB doesn't help or it comes back quickly afterwards you may be offered drugs. Ciclosporin can be offered short term and methotrexate can be used long term if it works. As with all serious drugs they have side effects but given your circumstances may be an option.

Posted Sat 9 Aug 2014 14.59 by seashell
i have a disability from birth and now have got psorisis not sure what one but im feeling pretty low and in a lot of pain skin wise and bone

Hi i have been diagnosed with guttatte psorisis but im not totally sure that the medical doctors have diagnosed me right, i havent seen a dermotologist yet and im all new to this, i have disability and so this condition dont help my life much, i think i have another type of psorisis, i have chronic pain in leg and swollen and back ache, all i have been given is dermol cream and trimavate, and the skin has got worse. anyone know any tips to get rid of this skin complaint because im now at the end of my tether i am constant pain all over me body head aswell?

Posted Sun 10 Aug 2014 13.26 by ryezy (edited Mon 15 Sep 2014 13.18 by giovanni11)
had it since age of about seven

hi, okay I tried all the treatments around got fed up with steroid treatments.i worked out a way of getting rid of my psoriasis and im sure if you follow these steps you will keep yours at bay.i stopped using soaps on my skin including shower gels.i purchased simple baby wash but only used it sparingly under arms and groin area.i did not shower fully for a few days...yeah I know but you need to let the skin restabilise itself if you follow..you can have odd shower but don't lather up just rinse with water to begin with okay..get hold of exorex lotion and apply every morning noon evening..keep building it up on your skin by not soaping it off just wash your smelly bits to begin with..do this routine religiously for at least the first month once psoriasis has calmed down you can decrease the amont of lotion used and bathe a little more but don't over bathe and avoid ANY scented products..i even stopped using deodorants and now use baby wipes when I get sweaty as these deodorants build up in the skin and irritate our skin..once your skin is clear and you HAVE to use deodorant do so but not EVERY day..think of your skin as being super delicate ..continue to use exorex and gradually you will need less and less..i also do not smoke limit drinking especially the first month you do this..and do a little exercise a few times a week to open up those skin pores and remove toxins ..drink plenty of water and generally be healthy..remember it is worth it to control your psoriasis..i honestly had it bad for years and this method has all but removed it from my life...just to point out don't panic and grab the steroid creams as at first your skin may get aggressive when these steroid creams are removed but this is part of the healing process..you may also notice the psoriasis patches spread a little but I noticed that this is just where the the skin is returning to its normal state.just apply more exorex lotion to help it return to its natural state x

To take part, sign in or register with us