Q. about antihistamines, ibuprofen, and Ramipril

Posted Thu 24 Oct 2019 19.15 by IainF

Hi, I'm a 52 year old male, lifetime sufferer with guttate psoriasis which is normally managed with Dovonex, and bathing with Bath E45. I also have an 8 element sun bed for occasional use. My legs (in particular) have flared up with angry, inflamed plaques, and the itching is terrible! I end up with all these bleeding wounds after scratching. It's like being attacked with stinging insects. I read (somewhere on the internet) a reference to using antihistamines for itchy psoriasis - has anyone tried this, and was it effective (I guess we're talking about some sort of cream rather than tablets). I also wondered if ibuprofen (e.g. nurofen) would calm it down - as this is supposed to be an anti-inflammatory? Finally, I was wondering what had brought on this attack. Other than the seasonal consideration (it normally deteriorates in the winter), I started taking Ramipril for blood pressure - any thoughts on this? Thanks!

Posted Thu 24 Oct 2019 20.38 by OhNo_NotAgain?

I had plaque psoriasis for many years. Last year i came out in gutatte psoriasis and I dId try antihistamine tablets - they did help a little with the irritation (piriton). An anti-histamine cream might help also, although I never tried it.

Posted Sun 27 Oct 2019 01.12 by wendyloish

Have a look at the post on hydrogen peroxide. I found that great to stop the itching. wendyloish

Posted Tue 29 Oct 2019 06.13 by Grandadbaz

I found Childs Farm moisturiser a great help for itchiness and also contains over 98% naturally derived ingredients, used on newborn upwards. Holland & Barrett have an offer at the moment with 25% off @ £2.99 . hope this is of help Good luck

Posted Tue 29 Oct 2019 21.27 by Dmort

Hi there I take antihistamines too for the itch and I find them fairly effective, I try to just use them sparingly though.

Posted Wed 30 Oct 2019 18.09 by Essexgran
Lifelong symptoms but with recent severe widespread flare ups

My dermatology nurse told me SOME medications for high blood pressure impact negatively on Psoriasis. If you are under the care of a dermatologist or if your GP practice has a dr with a special interest in skin, I would check out Rampiril. You obviously need to control your blood pressure but there are lots of different tablets for this. Re itching, ask for a can of Enstilar foam. It’s a potent steroid but very soothing. Good luck!

To take part, sign in or register with us