Treatments from Dermatologist

Posted Sat 11 Apr 2020 19.18 by Troy12

Hi, I was hoping for some advice about I what my dermatologist can do for me. In the past I have been on Methotrexate (stopped as I had nausea for 2 days after taking it) then I went onto Cyclosporine (stopped as my kidney blood levels were too low) and my previous dermatologist then put me on Adalimumab. However, I have currently stopped this medication as it appears to have had an affect on my hair and has caused me to have Telogen effluvium. I get the feeling that my new dermatologist does not want help me as he states my Psoriasis is not bad enough, even though I have it on my knees, elbows, ears and knuckles. He has told me to stop the medication for 6 months and I can see that my Psoriasis has already starting to come back in areas. I’m sure a lot of people with Psoriasis can agree that anyone that does not suffer with Psoriasis does not know the affect this has on your life daily. My question is, as I have now stopped the stage 3 medication (Adalimumab) is there anything else my dermatologist can put me on? Or does anyone else know off any other medication? I would rather want to stay off biological medications as it has made my hair fall out. Cheers T

Posted Sat 11 Apr 2020 19.39 by Steview
A P sufferer for over 30 years, through good and bad times.

Sorry to hear your problems Troy. My first response until I read further down would have been another biologic treatment I.e Stelara. Though you say you don't want to go on another biologic after your experience with Humira. I too suffered with nausea taking methotrexate but lived with it because the medication was doing its job. Has your derm mentioned methotrexate injections rather than tablets? The injections are supposed to have less nausea affects. I appreciate that being clean from a drug for six months could cause a major flare, it would do with me and I would be very anxious if my Derm asked that of me. Have you had uvb phototherapy before? That may be helpful but I suppose at the moment the units may be closed due to COVID. I hope you get some relief soon.

Posted Sat 11 Apr 2020 20.03 by Troy12

Thanks for your response Steview. The first treatment I ever had was UVB but my Psoriasis only went away for around 2 weeks and then came back. I was on the tablets and injections for Methotrexate, but unfortunately they both had the same affect on me. I found that Ciclosporin worked wonders for me, but due to my kidney blood levels I had to come off it. In regards to my Dermatologist, if I’m honest I am a bit worried as I feel like he doesn’t/isn’t going to help me when I go back in September this year. If that is the case I have thought about writing a complaint, as I feel a dermatologist should always help you regardless. But that is something I would rather not do. Cheers. T

Posted Sat 11 Apr 2020 20.05 by Troy12

Also, I’m reading a few articles about Blueberries and coconut water helping psoriasis. Have you or anyone you know that also suffers with Psoriasis tried this? If so what where the results? Cheers T

Posted Sat 11 Apr 2020 21.38 by Steview

Sorry not sure where your next step is then. Maybe ask for a referral to another dermatologist. Was methotrexate injections as bad as tablets for nausea? As for blueberries and coconut, I know cocunut is used in certain remedies, creams, lotions etc. Have you used dovobet or enstillar before?

Posted Sun 12 Apr 2020 08.39 by Troy12

Depending off the outcome off my next appointment I may have to ask to be referred to another dermatologist. I found that the injections and tablets for Methotrexate had the same results with neusea. I used Dovobet years ago but found that it made my skin weaker, maybe cause of the steroid. But I am currently using Enstillar, I find that it helps with the dryness but jot so much the redness. Cheers T

Posted Sun 12 Apr 2020 11.04 by Steview

It sounds like you are going through the usual drugs and ointments plus uvb. Have you tried acitretin? Not a drug I particularly liked but is commonly prescribed usually before going down the biologic route. A change of dermatologist may help but unfortunately may take time at present to get a referral. Hope you find some relief.

To take part, sign in or register with us