Koebner Effect

Posted Sat 29 Jan 2022 20.05 by june13

Does anyone have experience with Koebner Effect in psoriasis? I was recently diagnosed with psoriasis. Now I notice this added issue that is supposed to effect 25 percent of psoriasis patients. The slightest irritation or pressure on my skin can causes a plaque to form. For example, I get plaques where my glasses touch the bridge of my nose or my cheeks, where my leggings hit the bottom of my legs or along the line of where a v neck shirt touches my chest.

Posted Sat 29 Jan 2022 20.10 by Sizzy
Psoriasis 40 years, most treatments tried over this time, currently on biologics (stelara) as nothing else work.

I find that I get psoriasis worse in areas where something has rubbed such as waist bands, bra and knickers.

Posted Sun 30 Jan 2022 07.38 by OhNo_NotAgain?

I have never experienced or indeed heard of something as severe as what you describe, but about 25 years ago, when my plaque psoriaisis had largely receded from my entire body and was limited to elbows and occasionally my groin, I scraped my shin on a piece of wood while a bathroom was being installed in my house. It was a relatively minor scrape, it bled a little, scabbed over, but instead of healing, it turned into a patch of plaque psoriasis about 2cm x 3cm, that persisted for around 15 years. Certainly trauma to the skin ( including sunburn) CAN be a trigger for psoriasis.

Posted Sun 30 Jan 2022 09.21 by june13

Thank you Oh No and Dizzy for your replies. I'm still trying to wrap my head around my recent psoriasis diagnosis (I'm in my 60's). Now I've this Koebner thing. But the plaques are not real big There's also a reverse Koebner Effect where pressure or irritation makes plaques go away. But that one's a lot less common and unfortunately I don't have it. I wouldn't mind that one. It may sound naive but I'm used to being in control of my body. Now this crazy rash does exactly what it wants when and where it wants and I have little control. I'm learning how to accept it and stay positive. A doc I went to recently for something else didn't know I had psoriasis, saw it on my leg and said "Do you have fleas?" Can you believe it? I'm trying different treatments with varying success. Can someone give suggestions of treatments that have been successful for them? Thanks

Posted Mon 31 Jan 2022 20.53 by cath.moseley@hotmail.co.uk

I am 68 and now have psoriasis. I am having treatment but I was very depressed and cried a lot. I feel so sad

1 Posted Mon 31 Jan 2022 21.19 by june13

Hi Cath- one thing that helps me is thinking about people with psoriasis who have accomplished a lot despite the rash. Even if some of them aren't my favorite people, the have still accomplished a lot by fighting through the setback. Art Garfunkel, author John Updike, model Cara Devicreu, Kim Kardashian, golfer Phil Mickelson, singers Cyndi Lauper and Leann Rimes. The list is longer, but to reach their success they have focused on their goals and not let psoriasis stop them. I know it's easier to say then to do, but it's just another challenge in life.

Posted Tue 1 Feb 2022 07.45 by cath.moseley@hotmail.co.uk

All of my family have psoriasis they have had it for years my sisters and my daughter but I don’t like to burden them with my feelings so this site is a welcome sounding board Catherine

Posted Tue 1 Feb 2022 07.55 by june13

Yes I know what you mean. I'm in the US and feel fortunate to have found this site. Good luck.

Posted Fri 4 Nov 2022 10.50 by Sarbie

Hi june13, I have just come across your original post. I think I may have experienced the Koebner Effect. I had some patches of psoriasis already but stupidly got sunburnt on a beach. Not too long after that I developed large areas of guttate (which I didn't have before) around all areas of my thighs and buttocks! I am treating myself at home now with a phototherapy unit so I am hoping it will clear. I've given up on the steroids as they clear it but then it just comes back even worse. I hope things have improved for you now.

Posted Fri 4 Nov 2022 11.39 by cath.moseley@hotmail.co.uk

Hi I had the same problem. As my previous post I did get depressed first time in my life, however I have learned to cope with it. Winter was the worst time more prepared now so fingers crossed. Catherine 🌸🌸

Posted Fri 4 Nov 2022 11.59 by Sarbie

Hi Catherine, I know what you mean about the depression. It's a vicious circle of stress making psoriasis worse and then you become more stressed. I am 59 and first had it at 30. It went away very quickly and then didn't come back for over 20 years. In the last 10 years I have had it 3 times all from very stressful job situations. 2 times it went away when I changed jobs but this time the stress was not allowing it to clear. The steroid creams got rid of it but then it came back worse after I weaned myself off them. Then it got worse after I got sunburnt. I have felt so low sometimes I just wanted to disappear and became very withdrawn. Now I have had a few sessions of phototherapy and can see changes so this has out me in a better place mentally. The unit is mine so can use if it should return. What treatments have you been having and are they working? Have you also cut foods / drinks from your diet too? Caroline :0)

Posted Fri 4 Nov 2022 16.08 by cath.moseley@hotmail.co.uk

Have stoped using the steroids or any creams containing paraffin. Now use Aveeno blue no changes to my diet. Still have flare ups never clear. Bath in Dead Sea salt this helps have a place in Spain added salt water to my pool. Best my skin has been Catherine

Posted Fri 4 Nov 2022 16.23 by Sarbie

I have also stopped the steroids. I think I may be using the same Aveeno lotion as you and also one with Dead sea salt in it. I have given up alcohol, bread, dairy and nightshades such as tomatoes and white potatoes. This has resulted in not eating out with my partner and he says after a year it has made no difference. I'm nervous now about starting to have these things again..... I wash with Westlab Dead sea salt shower gel everyday but might try bathing as well. Sounds like you have perfect conditions with the salt in your pool and the Spanish sunshine. Caroline

Posted Fri 4 Nov 2022 17.58 by cath.moseley@hotmail.co.uk

It’s working well did stop the coffee for a bit but made no difference Catherine

To take part, sign in or register with us